Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Accident settlement

I was in a car accident over 4 years ago, and still haven't settled with the insurance company. I have si joint dysfunction On my left side. I have been in pain all 4 years and I'm still in pain. I have been through physical therapy, cortisone injections, acupuncture, numerous medications, patches, si belt... I'm still in pain and most meds do nothing. We are going in to put together a second demand package and I'm at a loss at what I can claim. I worked at a daycare at the time and she worked with me on when I had appointments and such so I didn't miss any work. I have over $17,000 in medical bills. I have a lawyer, but he is almost useless IMO. What should we be asking for? Does anyone know of a website that lists what we can be compensated for?


Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 24 (19,995 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Google?

    Answer by meooma at 2:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Omgoodness Im going to message you.

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • I've looked but can't find a settlement calculator. I was hoping someone who had been through it might know....

    Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • any lost wages? put all medical bills in and if you think you will continue give an estimate for future visits. and any medication too.

    Answer by lucky35 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Look - are you ever going to be able to go back to what you were doing before? Who was at fault in the accident? What are you going to live on for the rest of your life and who (how) are you going to support yourself financially? These are all tough questions folks, but ones that you need to ask yourself. It also sounds like your lawyer may not have what it takes to take on your case and get you the settlement you deserve.
    You may want to do some googling for information . . . . information on applicable laws, reputation of different law firms in your area, specialists who you may need to see to resolve your pain and health issues. My brother was once in a similar situation, got disgusted with his lawyer, called one of the ones that advertises on the TV and two years later, finally received a reasonable settlement. His health care bills were covered and the attorney actually was able to get him on SSD.

    Answer by mrslabel at 4:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • I'd love to be able to fire our lawyer, but it was in the contract that we would have to pay him $100 an hour for the time he has spent on our case, which it's been over 2 years. He wasn't our original lawyer, ours passed away in October, so we were passed to him partner. I have seen a Pain management specialist, and he was the one who told me this is not going to go away very easily. He also said he doesn't want it to become debilitating so he wants me to continue doing daily activites.

    Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011