What do you do?

I went and Look at a house That was for rent The walls were plaster and it was cracked and falling it smell of mold death animals windows falling broke out what can I do legal about this no one should live in I ve call health department

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• sounds like something out of a horror movie the way you describe it, IDK call the city? rental board? sounds really run down yikes.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Hope you didnt rent it,LOL.
    I guess all you could do is what youve already done and called the health department on it..maybe the housing authority.
    ew...place sounds nasty.sad.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• depends where you live, sounds like places out here (in Oakland, CA- next city over f/ me)...if you live in a big city, they probably won't do anything- they usually have their hands full as is. but you can try. first i'd call the people that showed you the house and straight up ask them about it- see what they say, they may already have some type of protection. if you have the time though (or live in the suburbs where stuff like this is usually taken care of) then sure, call the health department or i forget what it's called, but there are programs for living situations/conditions. try googling it, good luck and hope you find a much better home!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm not sure but I'd call the city and ask them about it being up to code.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Check with your city's code enforcement office. Sounds like the place should be condemned not rented.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well the health dept. was a good place to start. Also check with the city (they should have a website) and see if you can contact someone to investigate further in terms of being up to code, etc.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• they are renters comissions you can go to
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i would call and code enforcment
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011