Do you think that a babysitter should discipline your kids?

Yesterday the babysitter put my 6 year old on time out and then when i picked him up she wanted me to discipline him at home again. So you may ask what did he do? According to her he ran out into the street, my daughter who was present at the time said he just went behind her car because she (my daughter) threw the markers behind the car to make my son mad. One, my daughter didnt get put on time out just my son and 2 why should he be on time out for an hour and 1/2? and then discipline him at home too?

i think that i forgot to mention the car was in her drive way he didnt run behind a car in the street. i know that somethings involve saftey issues and kids should be disciplined im not against discipling i just think that sometimes people over react. Time out for an hour and 1/2 is not resonable to me!

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 1:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Throwing markers is one thing and running behind a car near the street at six is another. And yse, they should discipline. WTH? And he would be in trouble at home too if he was mine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• He knows better than to be in the street even behind her car right? Half hour in the corner sounds right to me and a talk from his parents on top of it.. sounds good to me. he should have asked the sitter to get the markers and DD should have went in the corner. problem avoided.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree the sitter should have the right to discipline. But she didn't handle it correctly. I think you should talk to both your children about behaving. But I wouldn't add more punishment for your son. Now your daughter on the other hand I would discipline since she didn't get any at the sitters. I'd also talk with your sitter about equal punishment. Your DD did something wrong, she should have been in time out too. I do agree an 1hr 1/2 is too long for a 6 yr old.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think babysitter need to be able to discipline your children but as a babysitter myself I ask the parents how they discipline and follow their rules. If anything comes up that I am not sure about then I just call the parents and ask. An hour and a half is way too much time in time out.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Isn't that double jepardy,LOL.

I think it's time for you to get a new bbysitter. 1 1/2 is way to long for a child to be in time out. The rule is 1 min per yr of age so unless your boy 90 I think she over shot that.

I would want the bbysitter to disapline my child but when it is needed, fairly, and the way I would want them disaplined.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Wow an hour and a half is a long time for time out, I would address that first. I'm a sahm and have babysat for friends and family. My rule has always been if you do it at my house, the punishment is at my house. Kid shouldn't be disiplined twice for anything.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• She probably almost crapped her pants with fear when your son ran in the road. I would have too. She is right, you should make a big deal about this at home, especially at his age. God forbid anything happened let alone on her watch. What would you think of her then?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In this case NO. An hour and a half in time out for a 6 year old? The babysitter has no clue how to discipline I'd be finding another.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i just wanted to say thank you for all you responses! but i didnt put on here that the car was parked in her driveway not on the street! that makes a difference here! but thanks for all the comments :)
    selaranda

Comment by selaranda (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would hope the babysitter would discipline.I don't think that was an overreaction...probably scared the daylights out of her thinking that YOUR child could have possibly been hit by a car. But thats just me.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011