How do you get your kids to clean their room?

I have 3 kids and they can never seem to keep their room clean! i am tired of seeing the room a mess. they all share a room right now. We used to have a 4 bedroom and they had their own room and couldnt keep it clean either????

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 2:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• start taking a trash bag in there and filling it with whatever is on their floor. I take it all into the livingroom and make them sort it and put it all away or throw it away
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I tell her to go clean her room and she can't come out until it's clean lol....I don't really need to do much more then that lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• not sure the ages of your kids, but if they don't pick it up AND I DO, then it goes into a trash bag
    and either I throw it away, donate it or hide it in the garage and they think I got rid of it.

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I did it with them when they were young so they knew what was expected. Then as they got older they knew nothing fun happened and no privileges unless the room was done. My expectations were not really high.....I just wanted to be able to get to things in there and they also knew no food of any kind was allowed in the bedrooms.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i tell her no video games until her room is spotless.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• "put it away or throw it away"

If they don't put it away we throw it away.
    Anonymous

• I have 3 kids and they have to have their rooms picked up before bed each night. It's never allowed to stay trashed. Anything left on the floor or out of it's place gets tossed (it's never come to that but I have threatened that). They love their toys too much to test me :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I tell them to clean their room. They know if they don't I will clean it and take anything that is out and toss it in the trash.
    Anonymous

• Tell them to clean it.... routinely go through it myself and throw stuff out!!! It's amazing what they "collect" especially seeing we don't really buy them things. We routinely throw away broken toys and "garbage", pack up things they don't want but still usable for the second hand store. For toy storage we have like things in individual bins. Legos in one bin, Barbies in another, etc. The standing rule is ONE bin out at a time. For the most part they do follow that rule, but at times the rule is broken. When I say "garbage" I mean all the papers and odd and ends my kids seem to have collected over the short period of time...especially my daughter. I also make them straighten up their rooms at least once day (generally before bed time).
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i feel your pain my 3 year old doesnt want to clean her room.
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 2:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011