How does a woman know when she has PPD? And what does she do if she thinks she has it?

I had a baby not a few weeks ago and now I am having feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, overwhelmed, sad, cry alot, and I want to be alone. I love my baby more than anyone or anything, but there are times I put her down for a nap and go into the bathroom and cry til she wakes up. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• Call or go see your doctor and bring it it.
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• that would be very good signs of that.. you should talk to your dr..they can give you advice about natural ways to try to treat it or get you on medication to treat it.. Good luck - I had it and its very hard to get through alone, please email me if you don't have a good support system at home
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• She knows when she has symptoms such as you describe, and she calls her doctor immediately. Good luck!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It could be PPD, or it could be the less serious version of it: baby blues. Baby blues are more of a hormone thing and go away soon. PPD is still caused by hormones, but can be more serious and longer-lasting. Either way, talk to your doctor.
    Until you get a chance to do that, do your best to get a lot of sleep (sleep when baby's sleeping and all that), eat well (it really does go a long way) and just take it one day at a time. I find that talking to other moms here helps as well.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have experienced PPD and I know how difficult the simpliest task can be when you are going through it. I was so miserable and I was making my whole family miserable as well. I reluctantly called my doctor (I was really embarressed) and they saw me the next day and gave me a prescription to Zoloft (it would have been Prozac if I hadn't been breastfeeding.) That was the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family. I am so glad I got over my fear of letting someone know I was depressed because my life has been so much healthier and brighter since. If you need someone to talk to, do not hesitate to look me up.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 2:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Call your OB, and he or she will recommend a therapist and psychiatrist for you.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Tell your doctor exactly what you just told us.And do it quickly.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Tell your doctor. There is help for you. I thought I was losing my mind after my second child was born. Don't wait - do it today. That baby deserves a happy and healthy momma!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 5:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• its called post pardum depression and can be very dangerous if not taken care of
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would say that's probably it. And don't be embarrased, there is nothing wrong with feeling a bit down and overwhelmed and needing some help to get back to what you feel is normal :) ((hugs))
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 5:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011