Is it wrong or illegal to pretend to be someone else when a dept collector calls

these people have been calling my house for months looking for this woman named Abigail, recycled phone number. we keep telling them "no one named Abigail lives here, you need to stop calling us" and yet they continue to call. well this morning i was trying to take a nap and another one called. i was very tempted to pretend to be this woman to find out what the hell these people want. is it wrong to pretend to be the person that a dept collector is looking for. at this point i seriously want to know what this woman did that these people keep calling the wrong number just to find her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• You wouldn't be able to, they need a SSN and other information. and yes, it is illegal to pretend to be that person.
    I had the same thing happen when I got my first cell phone, they used all my minutes leaving very rude voicemails for this person and I finally sent the company my bill and told them that I owned the number now and THEY were going to not only pay my bill but pay for the number change. Problem solved on my end.. they did exactly as asked
    Anonymous

• LOL I do it
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. Just tell them they need to remove your number from their list because she is no longer the owner of that number. If they continue to call you will press charges. There is only so many times you can tell them. Unless they are all different debt collectors then you just have t continue to them stop calling.
    If you haven't had the number long I would just change it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yeah it is. Contact your states attorney general and tell them you're being harassed. Give them the number they are calling from (if that is the information you have about the debt collection agency) and let the debt collector know next time they call that you've contacted the attorney general.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Don't do it or they'll come after you harder because you admitted to being her.
    Anonymous

• I have one calling that way looking for Tracy. I told them there was no Tracy here. The guy was obviously calling from India on top of it. She accused me of being Tracy and gave me her social security number. I told him Im not Tracy and its illegal for you to give me her social, and if you were in America maybe you would have an updated phone book. They called again and I pretended I couldnt speak English and said "You want give me money?" I kept saying it over and over until they hung up. Then I told them I wasnt Tracy but I knew her new number and for $100 Id give it to them. They havent called since.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't suggest doing it...probably will make matters worse. I'd tell them that if they call again, you will be reporting them to the authorities because they are harassing you.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It's probably illegal like you said, but it's probably illegal for them to be calling you. I had someone calling me for a Helen Wagner. My married named is Wagner but my husband has no relatives named Helen. Whoever is looking for her must have been desperate because they even called my sister. I told them several times I did not know a Helen Wagner and if they didn't stop calling I was going to report them. I eventually just stopped answering the phone for out of state and unknown numbers but they still call.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ugh- I totally feel where you're coming from! I had one guy that would call every day and let it ring and ring and ring(no answering machine) and if I answered and explained that it was MY number not Jennifer so and so, he would say, "Ok, thanks... JENNIFER!" and hang up. Pissed me off so bad! lol She had the sheriff's office calling AND Jacky Jones from Jacky Jones Ford- these people knew her on a personal basis! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That used to happen to me too and they were unrelenting!!!! I had to be very polite, explain that I had no idea who that person was or what their business with her was, and ask how to get my number off their list - prior to me just settling down and asking the right questions, whenever I said to take the number off the list, they would respond that they couldn't do that because that was the only number they had for her. I felt like I was in a zoo! Anyway, I must have finally gotten to the right person with the right way to say it or something because the calls finally stopped, but it took me 2 years, a lot of aggravation and a few letters cc'd to my attorney. It might be easier to just get a new number from the phone service provider. Good luck!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011