What has happened in your life to make you a stronger/better person?

Without mentioning your kiddies, husband, or significant other let me know what has happened in your life to make you the person you are today.

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Rape. It seems silly, something so tragic making me who I am. But, what I went through for months after... has truely changed my life. I realized how strong I am, and how unstoppable I am. If that couldn't break me (which ultimately I thought it did), then nothing could. If I could pull through that, than I can pull through anything. I grew up alot. I see the world in a much different way. But, I am stronger, I am more independent. I am so happy with who I am now. And I think, that if I had not gone through that, if I didn't have to fight for my survival and my mind and my innocence, then I really wouldn't be the awesome person I am now.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My mother and father. I got so many different things from each of them all rolled up into one Me! I hate to say it, but their deaths (3 yrs apart) made me stronger, I talked to them daily and I was devastated when I lost them. I know they would want me to be strong and move on, so I do.....
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My time in the Peace Corps and traveling in/living in different countries. That had a HUGE impact in my development as a human being.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• many things have made me a stronger person. the abuse from my parents, being raped, has made me more stronger. i want to help others and keep the cycle from repeating in my family
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 2:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I've lost a lot of people close to me for horrible reasons. Endured a lot of heartache, but have gotten closer to family and friends.
    I learned to love myself and divorce my ex and live more for me than for others.
    I've learned to forgive those for wrongs done to me.

*thanks.... this was a good post!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Health problems. Putting myself through horrible things every day and getting through it. I am by far a stronger person and feel like I can handle almost anything since then. It's been years, but it totally changed me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• OMG...where does it began..I would have to say one of the things was seeing my mom struggle and having to help her raise my sisters,having to cook,clean,comb hair,it has help me to develope into the woman that i am today
    celeb151

Answer by celeb151 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Being with my sons biological father. He would do anything to tear me down and be-little me. My 2 years w/ him and the heart break I felt when he left turned me into a completely different person. I went trough a lot of things with him, but I wouldn't be who I am today without it.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I was molested by 3 diffrent people starting at the age of 6, I was raped, My mother physically and emotionally abused me, I was a drug addict from the time I was 12. I had to raise my siblings because my mother was never home. My father tried to kill my mother and my step fathers were bums that drank to much. I let men use my body for attention. I was kicked out of my house at 14. I lived on the street for a while. I could let that pull me down but not anymore. I'm no longer that person. In fact the people that know me know would neve believe that any of this stuff happened.
    Anonymous

• Um, I kind of have to mention a child - I placed my firstborn for adoption, and all the "follow through" is what's done it for me - speaking with other birthmoms, speaking at events for adoptive parents, speaking at adoption awareness functions, etc - none of it would have happened if I hadn't gone through it.
    Anonymous