Why is my son afraid of his father?

My 6yo has been acting up at school, not doing work, just in general not being himself. When I sat down with him he started crying and said he was worried that his dad was going to go to the school and beat him. My husband and I don't hit/spank/whatever you want to call it. It seems so out of place for him to say that! I am worried he would say that to his teacher and get taken away from us :(

Dad is only home about two days a week, he is military and currently on mission about 300 miles from home. When he is home we have fun; swimming, movies, videos games, restaurants...you know.

What is he afraid of? Can he really be scared that dad is coming to get him? Or is he possibly just not able to say what he is really worried about?

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 2:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids can sense negative energy. A lot of people are afraid of dads who are trained in a violent career. Just assure him dad won't harm him.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm not suggesting that this is true but do you think he is hitting him when you don't know about it?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Could it be possible that some of the kids at school are telling him this?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't know that there is ever a time that they are really alone together without me being at least somewhere close by. I did think about that at first though, like it was my initial thought. I know my husband would tell me if he did. As far as I know he has never hit anyone ever!!
    willngingersmom

Comment by willngingersmom (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Do you think he's searching for attention.? I'm sorry i'm not more of a help... I would just keep talking to him and try to get things out of him.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• As a single mom i have to discipline the kids here and thier dad at his house but i do explain
    Them if daddy is going overboard to let me know and we will talk
    Anf vice versa
    debraann380

Answer by debraann380 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• ask him why he feels this way; he may open up more if you are willing to sit down and listen to him; maybe someone is bullying him at school or something
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011