MY DOG STINKS! No matter what kind of shampoo I use, He smells the same. Please suggest something that I can use.

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 3:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, I would definitely switching him to a higher quality brand! If you have a costco membership, their Kirkland Signature brand is about the cheapest but still good quality food you can get. I've never fed it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I believe you can buy a 40lb bag for around $20. Another fair brand is Diamond Naturals (MUST be the Naturals line). You will have to go to a farm/feed store and you will pay about $25 for 40lbs. I, myself, feed Taste of the Wild and rotate through the 4 flavors available. I have to buy it online because no one near me sells it, but some feed stores and independent pet stores sell it. I pay $42-45 for 30lbs, but it lasts 6 wks with my 2 Shelties (40lbs & 25lbs). Oh, it is completely grain-free as I believe that dogs, being carnivores, do not need grains in their diet.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• blow dry him. sounds like his undercoat is getting mildewy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What kind of dog?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You can buy a dog "cologne" at Pet land that smell pretty good. I agree with blowing him dry.h and it could be his anal glands need expressed. Sometimes that'll make 'em stinky.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ears maybe, I have a coocker that smelled bad, & still does if his ears are mantained.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What do you feed him? Low quality foods that are full of corn and byproducts can cause a dog to stink. Take a look at this site and try switching to a 4 or 5 star rated food if you aren't feeding one already: www.dogfoodadvisor.com. If he smells yeasty, he may have a yeast infection on his skin or in his ears. If he smells fishy, his anal glands may need to be expressed (the vet or groomer can do this for you). Also, check to see if the smell is coming from his mouth...it could be his teeth or his breath.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It could be a skin condition, like a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. Have you looked closely at his skin?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What do you feed him? That can play a roll. If the dog has a skin infection they can have a very distictive odor that no bathing with the exception of the right type of medicated shampoo could fix.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• He eats only chicken or lamb flavored dog food. He's a 7 pound yorkie/beagle mix. Purina or Chef Micheals. he's an inside dog.
    yummysmummy

Comment by yummysmummy (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Have you had his little ears checked?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2011