Bed time as a punishment

Okay so yesterday my two sons 10 and 12 were fighting,something they do a lot. I told them that I will be putting them to bed at 7 tonight because of their constant bickering. Is this something that will work? Has anyone done this and had it work. I can't deal with the constant stress in my home I would like nothing more than to have (some) peace. I know its not gonna be all sprinkles and rainbows, but I'm going nucking futts.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 3:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I assume it was too late last night (when they were bickering) to put them to bed early?

I say go for it.

My older kiddo (6 1/2 in a few days) gets 3 warnings , sort of a 3 strikes you're out thing. If you cannot listen and obey and be civil I'll assume you're too tired to function and off to bed you go.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Do they share a room?

Do you really think they will go to bed at 7pm? That sounds REALLY early to me. My 2 year old is in bed then and my 4 & 5 year olds go to their rooms at 8pm....but that doesn't mean they actually go to sleep.

So, are you putting them to bed or just putting them in their rooms at that time?
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• go for it
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kid know bedtime is a certain time unless they tick mom off and then it's whenever I say it is. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. Bedtime is 8pm on school nights and 9-10pm on weekends/summer. IF they are whining, throwing fits, fighting or otherwise annoying mean I reserve the right to push their bedtime up to...whatever time it is at that moment. They might not actually go to sleep but they have to stay in their beds with the lights off.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• When I was younger my mom took off time from my beadtime... like bumped the clock up.... for as many minutes as I was late in the morning getting ready for school and such... dragging my feet to the car and what not. IT WORKED FOR ME! I HATED that! At first I didn't take it seriously... but..the night that my bedtime had been moved up to 6:30pm because I had made my mom so late getting to work one day.. I tell you... I never dragged my feet again! Hopefully it will have success for you! I know it can drive you nucking futts when the kids are bickering and fighting! I UNDERSTAND and applaud your effort to find something constructive other than spanking or yelling to get through to them!!
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You mean 7 om is early bedtime for them? Do they have separate rooms? I think this approach might work. My mom used to send us to our rooms if we misbehaved. It didn't quite work most of the time because we could always figure out what to do to have fun. making it an obligatory BED time might do the trick. No playing, no tv, no computer. yeah, I think it might be worth the try.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It worked/works for my kids.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sweet sounds like the majority of you agree. they usually are in bed around 9:30.they freaking whine when I put them to bed at 9:30
    They don't have anything in their room so it won't be fun. I was also thinking of handcuffing them together if this doesn't work! They will be in their beds not up playing around in their room. Believe me I feel like a zombie mom trying to work this out.
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Mine are 6 and 7 and that works like MAGIC in my house. Love it!!!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes it works i think. My son goes to bed early when he misbehaves and he might not fall asleep, but its a punishment to him because he can only lay there... He doesnt give many problems towards the end of the day lol
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011