Sleeping on thier tummy?

When is it ok for a baby to sleep on thier tummy? My son is 10.5 months old and atlest once a night i wake to find him sleeping on his tummy. I flip him over and go back to sleep but he is getting to where if he isnt the way he wants to sleep he will cry till he gets himself back the way he wants. His crib is right next to my bed so when ever i wake up i check on him.
So when is it ok for them to sleep on thier tummys?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can he turn himself over? is that how he's getting to his tummy? It should be ok for him sleep on his tummy is he can flip himself over. just make sure he doesn't have any loose blankets in the crib with him, or any stuffed animals. Nothing that he can flip himself onto that will suffocate him.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My pediatrician said when they roll both ways and can push up with their hands and hold their heads up. Your LO should be fine if you are ok to follow that criteria. Just make sure there are no blankets, toys, etc (any potential choking/suffocation hazards.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yea he turns himself over. I always lay him on his back.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Once they can turn over by themselves, the risk of SIDS has lowered and it is no longer extrememly important to keep them on their back. It's all good, sweetie!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my ds, 3 yr, has almost always slept on his tummy since we brought him home. he would spit up all the time so it was in reality one of the safest ways he could sleep....we have went from the cause of spitting up being acid reflux to a lactose allergy, which is his problem.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my daughter slept on her tummy from the beginning
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Mine started at 6 months dr said it was ok as long as he did it himself as far as turning over
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011