How can I toilet training to my autistic son?

mychildren0407

Asked by mychildren0407 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it has to become an expected part of his routine. consistency is key. Give lots of praise for every attempt.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I got rid of the diapers and put him in real underwear. I kept him in real underwear and the moment he wet or pooped, I took him to the bathroom right away. I also talked about the bathroom, got him books and we used rewards. It was harder with him, but it eventually worked. Good luck!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• One thing that helped with my son was a reward chart- each time he sat on or went potty he got a sticker on the chart and after so many stickers he got a reward from the prize bucket. Picture cards showing the different steps involved in using the potty helped as well-- the visual reminders showed him what he needed to do and the order to do it in (like take pants down, flush, wash).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Keep lollipops on the back of the potty and take him it & make him sit every 20 mins. If he goes - he gets a candy.
    Schnizzle

Answer by Schnizzle at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh boy. This is not an easy question
    my son was not fully trained until he was 8. He just didn't understand the concept. We had to wait until it was HIS idea to go on the toilet. We started trying at 3,but he was scared and confused. His OT was the one that got him to go,but I think it was because he was crushing on her a bit!
    Depending on the severity of his autism,he could catch on right away,or it could be years. My nephew who is also autistic,will be 7 in Sept and he's nowhere near ready.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• make it part of his normal routine and be consistent it will be hard at first but don't give up
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011