Has anyone else had a child with Autism that had major bowel issues?

My son was diagnosed at age 2 with Autism, and has had many problems with his bowels since. Docs blame it on the Autism, because up until the last year or so he wouldn't eat meat before (because of texture issues). He now eats pretty much anything, but still has bowel issues. Docs have done xrays and found a mass of stool backed up in his bowel, which was causing stool to leak around it causing diarrhea constantly. He was put on Miralax about a year ago to help, but now he goes back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. Most of the time the diarrhea is a bright green color (almost like bile), and I wonder if there isn't something wrong with his digestion. Has anyone ever had a child with Autism that was found to have the same issues, with food and stuff moving through the digestive tract too quickly, thus coming out the green color, and the child not being able to absorb the right nutrients because of it moving through the digestive tract too quickly. I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this...thanks

naomigirl1984

Asked by naomigirl1984 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Can you ask for a referral to a GI specialist? That's what it sounds like your son needs.
    Good luck momma!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• His local pediatrician was the one who took the abdominal xrays and found the mass of stool in his bowel. She was the one that put him on the Miralax. This has been going on now for the last year or so, and I am growing more concerned. His belly seems distended, although I can't be sure that he's not just chubby, cause he is a big boy. I think when he follows up with the developmental pediatrician at the childrens hospital next week, I will ask if they can refer him to a GI specialist. He has had stomach problems since birth, his stomach closed off (the pyloric stenosis problem when he was a baby), and he was on Zantac until about a year ago. Lots of stomach problems run in the family, so maybe it is best to try and get him to a GI specialist...thanks for your advice..I will try that and see how things go and will give an update next week after he goes to the Dr on Monday
    naomigirl1984

Comment by naomigirl1984 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Is he gluten & casein free? Autistics often have a sensitivity to these proteins. These proteins are often causes of intestinal distress. Has he had a food panel RAST test for IgG antiobdies? You can also add benefiber to his food. It's tasteless, odorless, & clear.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No he isn't gluten free or anything else really. The only thing the doctors have done is an abdominal xray and that was when they found the mass of stool backed up in his bowel. There haven't been any blood tests or anything, and I wasn't even aware of those issues in Autistic kids. The doctors just said to increase fiber and decrease milk...and give him miralax, which that makes things difficult as well because when he gets the miralax, he poops, but its either so runny it goes right out the diaper, or so much that the diaper can't hold it all. I fear he may not be potty trained for a long time because of these bowel problems, and just so frustrated with what seems to be no help from doctors and no end in sight to these bowel issues. I feel so bad for my son, because he gets horrible diaper rash from the diarrhea, and at times will have big sores on his butt.
    naomigirl1984

Comment by naomigirl1984 (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't know but here's a bump
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 4:45 AM on May. 24, 2011