Uniforms, Yes or no

When I went to school you could wear what you want as long as you didn't break dress code. No short shirts, mini skirts, ect.. Now A lot of the schools have went to uniforms. (not all) So I was just wondering, Do your kids wear uniforms? Do you agree with the uniforms for public school?

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in

• Yes my kids public school has uniforms. Pretty much all the schools around here do and they're not as "formal" as private school uniforms its typically a color for pants/shorts and a diff color (polo usually ) for shirts. Not too hard and honesly a LIFESAVER (esp. if you have a dd like mine). It makes getting dressed in the AM VERY VERY simple.
    And kinda saves money b/c you just get 5 shirts, 3-5 pants (or a combo there of) and they just wash and rewear ... not like with reg. clothes that you need to worry about switching up etc.
    So they have their school clothes and then their outside of school clothes and the 2 don't meet.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My kids go to a private school and wear uniforms. I LOVE it! The only issue I would have about public schools is making sure all of the students could afford the uniform. I support them, completely.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My dd wore a uniform in her public school. It was pretty easy. It was khaki bottoms and a navy blue polo. She hated it. Now she goes to public school and every morning is a debate as to what she is going to wear.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I support it. Going to school is like having a job, you cant wear pants that say JUICY on the but or a shirt that says I AM TROUBLE. And there is no complaining about that girl has better clothes than me, or I need those $150 jeans because every girl in my class has them.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The issue lies within enforcing the current dress code. Too many schools got slack and then had to go to uniforms to get things back under control.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids don't, but it wouldn't bother me if they did. I buy them new clothes at the start of every school year anyway - being in uniforms wouldn't change that so I wouldn't be out any extra money.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids go to Charter schools Uniforms, LOVE THEM, ( kids don't) but it cuts down on morning drama.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my son goes to a private christian school w/ a super strict dress code but NO uniform. i wish they did have a uniform. I think uniforms help bring out the kid more. no one knows if you're poor or rich. your personality matters more than if your jeans are from kmart or bloomingdales.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids don't have to wear them...however, I wish they did, as long as they were affordable...at least then it wouldn't set so many kids apart from one another...maybe it would stop some bullying. But I also feel that they should teach personal hygiene and why it is so important, and if they have showers offer shower time to students who need it. Some parents, can't afford, were never taught, or just doesn't care that their children don't bathe except once a week...it is really sad to see some of these kids.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids wear PJ for their uniforms (homeschool). I can see pros and cons to both, however, if I had a choice, I would want mine to wear what they want (within reason of course).
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

Next question in
What is your earliest memory of school?

Next question overall (Relationships)
Torn between