When does teen lying become a problem and what should you do to correct it?

teenfused

Asked by teenfused at 3:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Lying is always a problem, no matter at what age it occurs. How you handle it depends on the age of the child, what they lie about, and many other factors, but it must be dealt with every time it occurs.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• the answer from #1 is correct. I have a major problem with it in my house. Seems to lie about anything and everything, even when it it is not needed. Therapy says it is a power play. I am ready to pull my hair out. Therapist says I have to call it every time.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i agree any lying is a problem
    malleymom106

Answer by malleymom106 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It all depends on what they're lying about.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• the lying is a problem when it becomes a lifestyle. Lying usually means that there isn't a whole lot of trust in the home. Or the child feels absolutely lost and the lying is a way to fit in. Stopping it can start out as a simple privilege being taken away to counseling to putting the child in a home for children with extreme social issues. Your teen is looking to establish identity and to escape accountability. Lying is also a learned trait. If the teen sees it working for someone they live with or admire the behavior will be mimicked. The first ly is the opportunity for the parent to show by example. Teens will watch and do what works for them. Straight up and honest talk and respect are what teens need and love. Tough Love.
    pookie60

Answer by pookie60 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• A teen will lie to someone they don't trust. Maybe you are asking the wrong questions. Instead of "who did you hang out with?" start with "did you have a good time?". Then you don't sound like you are looking for a chance to yell at them.
    Rose4Lily

Answer by Rose4Lily at 2:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I THINK LYING IA OK
    WATERLADY1228

Answer by WATERLADY1228 at 10:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I THINK LYING IS NOT OK
    WATERLADY1228

• when thye lie about stuff just to lie
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 12:07 PM on May. 20, 2011