HELP! How do you make a simple meatloaf?

I have about 7 or 8 recipies for Meatloaf and for some reason I can never seam to cook it all the way in the middle. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your help

timbrikaylamom

Asked by timbrikaylamom at 4:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've always used the ground beef, an egg, the ends of a loaf of bread, crumbled (the ones you either toss out in your yard for the birds or throw away), some diced onion, celery, and some random other ingredients when I feel like experimenting. Mix it all up in a bowl, I use my hands. Then pat it all flat into a loaf pan. It usually fills about half the loaf pan. Then I top with a ketchup and brown sugar mixture and spread across the top 1/2 inch from the edge. Bake in the oven at 350 for an hour or so.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Do you live at a high altitude?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 4:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I use a pound of beed, 1 cup water, and a package of chicken stuffing...mix it all up...throw in on a baking sheet and shape it like a loaf (I make mine a little flatter) and bake at 350 until cooked in the center. It tastes yummy and hasn't failed me yet.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Beef, not beed....my typing is horrible today
    Renee3K

• ground beef, egg, crumbs, minced onion, chopped celery, dash of ketchup, dash of garlic powder. That's based on 1# meat, alter to your amount. Cook in oven at 350, approx 45 -1hr (depending on size). Here's the trick on the middle: mold the loaf evened height, don't pile it up in the middle......make basically a flat loaf, maybe 1 or 2 inches high. Good luck!! Bon Appetit!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• maybe push it out so it is thinner and will cook more evenly?

As far as recipes, I put in burger, egg, white cheddar cheese its, onion, worcestershire sauce, and top with ketchup.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• simple simple is 2 lbs beef, 1/2 onion diced, 1/2 green pepper diced, garlic powder and a little chili Sauce, in a casserole dish cover and bake for 1 hour at 350 then top with chili sauce and continue to bake 30 min with the top off. Allow to rest for 20 min before cutting. The more meat the longer the covered cooking time needs to be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ritz crackers are so much yummier in meatloaf than breadcrumbs, I think. I top mine with a mix of ketchup, brown sugar and mustard and bake at 350 for an hour.
    sunshine82

Answer by sunshine82 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No I dont live in an hog alt. but thatnks. Thanks moms I'll send pics and messages letter *fingers crossed* on how it comes outthis time thanks so much!
    timbrikaylamom

Comment by timbrikaylamom (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I make it different all the time, never the same, always off the top of my head. Last night's "recipe" was a big one - part of it made meatballs for the freezer. I used 1.5 lbs ground pork, 3 lbs ground beef. About 1 cup instant rice. 1/2-1 cup ketchup (I don't measure, but in was somewhere in that range ;) ). 3 eggs (I usually do 1 egg per pound of meat, skimped this time). 8 oz finely shredded colby jack cheese. About 1/2 cup dried minced onion. A nice shake of black pepper. And just for simplicity sake, a good shake of Lawry's seasoned salt. When I make meat loaf, I pat it down in a 9x13 pan - it gets a little on the thin side, yes - but then I make a slit in the middle, and push the insides out - basically make a well - so the meatloaf is actually in a square "0" shape. An hour, give or take, at 350. I've never had it undercooked in the middle. I test a middle spot with a fork just to make sure.
    Anonymous