What's the big attraction of Lake Tahoe?

I hear things about it and apparently it's a popular tourist spot, but I've never been there, so I don't understand what the big attraction is.
We plan on taking a big vacation this summer and we'll be going up through Cali, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to Tahoe. Is there anything that really makes it better than any other lake?

We live in TN...we'll be cutting across AR, OK, TX, NM, then to Arizona, where we'll stay a week with family and then proceed to go see the Grand Canyon and painted desert and such. We'll then be going up through Cali, but the only place there I plan for sure on stopping is in the northern part to go through the redwood forest, then up to Crater lake in OR, over & up the coast, up to the WA peninsula to Forks, across the sound to Seattle, and then to Spokane, where my family lives. On the return trip we'll go down through Yellowstone, then to Devil's tower, Mt. Rushmore, Wall SD, maybe stop in St. Louis, then home again.

Are there any other interesting sights to see in NM, AZ, or CA?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Travel

• It's got a lake!
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 4:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have been to many of the places you mentioned and you have a fantastic road trip planned. Lake Tahoe is beautiful, but you are going to see so much I do not think Tahoe will add to your experience. It is more of a destination vacation for relaxing, skiing, and gambling. The country and the lake are beautiful, but not necessary with the trip you have planned.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My stepdad mentioned that it's mostly a ski resort area, so I wondered if it was worth visiting in the summer time. Lodging and such tends to cost more in popular tourist areas, so if there's nothing really special about it I think we'll skip it.
    I also wondered if it could really compare since we'd be going to crater lake almost directly afterward. I've never been to Crater Lake either, but I hear it's one of the most gorgeous places in the US.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In NM there is Capulin Volcano, Bandelier National Park is gorgeous as is the Valle Caldera (one of 3 super volcanoes in the United States - we are history and geology geeks it would appear.) Taos, and if you are near Santa Fe and don't mind driving for an awesome meal, google Rancho De Chimayo. The food is worth it, but call ahead. My kids loved it. There are hiking/walking trails in back of the restaurant.

If you are going to Painted Desert and Petrified Forrest in AZ, check out the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ.

I've been through Tahoe, and the area is beautiful. It was a long time ago and we stopped at a state park and hiked a bit. That's all I remember.

My favorite trip planning sites are nps.gov and roadsideamerica.com
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Big lake surrounded by the lovely Sierra Nevada Mts. Lots of people especially in winter (skiing) and summer-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2011