my 14 monthfell and cut her head about a inch length wise.I put ice on it ,but the swelling hasnt gone down do i need to take her to the er?

dove515

Asked by dove515 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would. You want to make sure it doesnt need stitches.

Answer by gemgem at 4:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I asked this question about a week ago and got a lot of yes answer especially with the face
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would. Keep us posted!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would, any fall or cut at that age is nothing to play with! Better to be safe than sorry
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 4:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes - even if it is determined you didn't need to - you will have the peace of mind knowing it was looked at by a health professional.
    Take care!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would, only because it's her face and she may need stitiches or the purple glue stuff to prevent scaring. The swelling should go down in a couple of days though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Just keep a close eye on her the good thing is the booboo is sticking out oppose to a bump not there meaning it could have been one inside and that is scary and have to take to the er. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes, Never Take it for granted that further treatment isn't needed for a toddler. My daughter fell out of bed at the age of two and we took her to th ER and good thing we did. She needed stitches and we had to keep an eye on her in case of concussion. Better to be safe than sorry.
    pookie60

Answer by pookie60 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Does your state/city have an Urgent care facility? If so, they are 1- MUCH cheaper(my ins has a $50 copay for urgent care versus like $350 for ER), 2- geared towrds things like this that "maybe" should be seen. Where I'm from, the ER is for heart attacks, car wreck victims, gunshot wounds--people who are quite possibley dying. Urgent care is for broken bones and kids with 105 fevers... I know my Dr would probably say <"keep an eye on her behavior" and if she is acting normal, it's probably just fine." Without knowing how bad the fall was, or when it occured (don't think you mentioned when it happened, are we talking minutes, hours, days? is it still bleeding?) I can't tell you really what to do, but I'd start with a simple xcall to your ped and they can ask the right questions to determine just how much of an emergency this is or isn't.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011