Do you consider it child abuse to allow younger kids to watch sexual situations on TV?

This is stemming from a post in which a nameless mom allowed her under 10 yr old son to watch a movie that rhymes with Slack Pawn. All of it. Sex and all. I feel like this is child abuse. We are the parents and while sex is natural, allowing children to view such sexual material is just not right.

No names have been used - I am being vague - so as not to violate CM policies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Actually, that can be considered sexual abuse, depending on the state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That's exactly what I am thinking.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It can definitely be emotional abuse on a child as they are not old enough or mature enough to understand what is going on.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Devils advocate here. There are countries that kids sleep with parents and parents have sex with the kids there. Even awake.

Many species have sex in public and it doesn't emotionally distress the babies. When we act like it's a bad thing, that is when it becomes a problem

That being said, I do censor most of what they watch only because that conversation could get long and detailed very quickly. I also don't have sex in front of them but it is interesting that we are the only species that seems to have a problem with sex and sexuality.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• wow - i wanted and want mine to stay innocent as long as possible! I can't imagine plopping them in front of a tv for THAT. Where are peoples brains now days?????

I know a girl who told her 9 yr old at the time what a "rubber" was just because she walked in on a conversation (which we adults stopped) and the daughter said "what you guys talkin bout" ....I was so mad I had to leave!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 4:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yes definetely
    mom4allkids

Answer by mom4allkids at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't know if I'd consider it "abuse" (lots of shades of gray and varying levels of explicit material), but I do consider it completely inappropriate to allow children to watch blatantly sexual films.
    I have no idea what the "rhymes with" movie you're talking about is, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• LOL, sorry! Black Swan.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have no idea what movie anyone is talking about either. Would anyone care to enlighten us?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• D'oh! I feel like a dolt now!
    I haven't seen Black Swan so I don't know how explicit it is, but I'm pretty careful with my daughters. IT'S OKAY TO LET KIDS BE KIDS!!! They'll have to deal with all the adult stuff soon enough.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011