Child Abuse during pregnancy

I wonder why it's not considered child abuse when a mother does drugs, drinks excessively, and do wild things while they're pregnant? It should be child abuse!

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 4:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• i agree.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 4:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It can be considered neglect. I have taken classes in child welfare and we covered a lot about abuse during pregnancy too. But, it is hard to prove until the baby is born and some babies that have mothers that smoke, do drugs or drink while pregnant are born perfectly healthy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well then why is abortion allowed??? Kinda a fine line, I think. Some women are uneducated and don' t know any better either.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• definitely!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That has to do with laws.

Answer by louise2 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You bring up a great point amazinggrace, but I didn't want to steer my thought into abortion that will go on forever :)
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yes They shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant
    mom4allkids

Answer by mom4allkids at 4:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It kinda is...once baby is born and is tested...it is taken away if it is on drugs or has known defects from mom's abuse on it. Like the mom that ate rat poison while pregnant and the baby died later on after it was delivered.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I definitely think it should be, but I also think it is a slippery slope...would they say I can't change my cat litter because of toxoplasmosis even though I am the only one that is home to do it? Or that if someone has more fish than recommended it is child abuse?

Yes, I definitely think that drugs and alcohol are different, but where would be the line or limit for what they consider harmful to a child.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011