Unrealistic expectations for my 3 year old?

My mom told me this yesterday. We were shopping at Costco together with my son and an 18 month old she watches.. they were both side by side in the front seats of the cart, my mom pushing the cart.. my son was pulling on her zipper, trying to take her glasses, trying to push/poke her.. Yes I get he was being silly but... it was making a shopping trip much more work than it needed to be.. so I got upset with him and took him out of the cart and made him walk with me hand in hand..I feel he has many opportunities to be silly and fun but grocery shopping is not a place I want him running around, poking, not listening, and pulling at my mom trying to push the cart. I tried to push the cart and he got upset and that's not ok either so I got upset with him- am i over reacting? or is Grandma just making excuses for him?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, you were right and i'm the same way. my mom also sounds a lot like your mom and would've given me a hard time as well. its usually the two of them versus me! lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No, you are not. A 3 yr old can behave in a store. I would have done the same thing you did.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• you were in the right for sure! i dont allow my 2 year old to act like that in stores.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 4:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Not an unrealistic expectation
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• He's 3, not 18 months. He should know how to mind.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Grandma is making excuses. My mother and MIL both would let our children get away with far more than they would have ever let us get away with growing up...they think our kids are being "cute" when they do things like that...would not have been "cute" when we did it as children! Don't listen.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011