What am I supposed to do?!

dd is driving me insane. Her sleep is more what I should say. I don't expect her to nap, but I do expect her to lay down (and watch a movie or something) so she has time to rest..she's tired everyday and trying to fall asleep if she doesn't nap, by 4 which puts her staying up until all hours of the night. I've made sure she's in bed each night by 8..with no overly stimulating activities before hand..we have a routine, which truly has consisted of all this anyway but just in out bed.(we're trying to get her in her own room).dinner at 5, clean up/time with dad/dh at 5:45, bath at 7 (dh is gone for work before she gets up) out of bath by 7:30 and jammies/brush hair/brush teeth/anything bedtime related after and in bed by 8..again, we've always had this routine, but it takes dd forever to fall asleep, and she can't stay asleep. Today's "nap" has been worst of all..I dat and listened to a 30 minute fit bc I would not come lay down with her, and every few minutes she comes out of her room bc she's scared of a passing car..she'll say "I scared" and when I ask her of what she says "it's just a car"..she completely stalls on sleeping, with anything she can possibly think of. I hate the idea of crying it out and "locking her in her room, but I don't know what else my choices are. As I'm sitting here typing this, she's curled up in my floor asleep..I've tried to get her to sleep with one of our t-shirts or a shirt that has our scent on her pillow, a nightlight, music, a special stuffed animal, everything and nothing works. I don't want her o rely on us to get to sleep in her bed, but I'm just at a loss on what to do. She's so independent on everything else but this. I've looked at the super nanny techniques but if she falls asleep and wakes up in the middle of the night and we're not there, all he'll breaks loose and it takes hours to get her back to sleep,..it's to a point if you so much as move and it makes a sound (when she wakes up in the middle of the night), she's crying and getting worked up. I don't know what to do. What do you ladies suggest?..or any advice from someone who's been here? She's just shy of 3.

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 4:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know, my son stopped napping at 2. He just didn't need the sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son stopped napping around 2 1/2 and I wouldn't dare let him nap....otherwise he'd be up FOREVER!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I liked the Nanny when she had them sit on the floor in the childs room - back to child - just to let them know you are "there" each night you moved further away....a long routine but.....i never really had that issue so Good Luck
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 4:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I've always wanted to avoid this situation so I have done some preventative things. I think you might be able to incorporate some of it now though. I never made it super quiet when he was going to bed or already asleep. If they expect it to be silent, small noises can wake them. My son has always favored falling asleep to the sound of a fan (out of reach of course). The fan allows outside noise and inside noise to be cancelled out. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• well my son also stopped napping at 2 for this very reason.. it wasn't worth the fight anymore and we gave up on trying "quiet time" also after too many occasions like this.. try putting a movie on in the livingroom? good luck,!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

Same for us... we went to an earlier bed time at that point.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• A pallet on your floor and time, you can not expect a toddler that knows nothing but your guy's safety to just suddenly be ok with the change. It is more then just her wanting to be near you, it's about the sounds you guys make in your sleep, it's about the smell of you guys. Now you are wanting her to sleep in an unfamiliar room with unfamiliar sounds and just except it. She has slept with you guys for at least 2 years it is going to take time, lots of it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• it will get better. my 9 year old still needs a nap every now and then. She still sometimes have problems going to sleep at night.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 12:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011