Why was this so easily accessible?!!!

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110419/US.Houston.School.Gun/

oh and then this....

Parents were allowed to take their children home for the day if they preferred to do so, and counselors were on hand as classes resumed for the afternoon, said district spokesman Norm Uhl.

Well duh!! No, I'll leave my kid there. Seriously!

ItsJustMe1017

Asked by ItsJustMe1017 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a hard time seeing how a 5-year-old can get to a loaded gun and carry it to school without some neglect on the part of the parents. BradenisMyson, that's great that you were a good kid and all, but no matter how you train a kid, you cannot guarantee that a kid's not going to get tempted! If I had guns, they would be WAY out of reach!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well, there were always loaded guns in my house growing up and right where I could get to them. HOWEVER, I was taught how to shoot them and gun safety and knew the danger starting WAY before age 5. I was shooting .22's at age 2. THEREFORE, I knew what could happen from seeing it first hand. So, lock's aren't the issue. He was FIVE, he wasn't too young to understand. So, no one has ever taught him a thing apparently.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• district spokesman Norm Uhl.--

seriously, that's his name? haha..funny.
    maybe we're missing something, because your questions states 'where are the parents?!!!"..that's probably why the pp answered as she did. duh.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sorry if a KINDERGARTENER has access to and possession of a hand gun IT IS THE PARENT'S fault-

6 is not 16 or 18-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Um, was I missing something? I didn't see anything about the parents.

What I meant was, why wasn't the gun LOCKED? I think the best thing is when you can only unlock the safe with the gun owners fingerprints.
    ItsJustMe1017

Comment by ItsJustMe1017 (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yeah, I figured that. I guess it wasn't really the right way to ask. I did edit it.
    ItsJustMe1017

Comment by ItsJustMe1017 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Perhaps I wasn't clear. I BLAME THE PARENTS...for not watching or teaching or being there evidently.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Wow, I still check my kids backpacks every morning and they are 9 & 12.

Kids wouldn't be so interested in guns if the curiosity was removed. I am for police officers visiting schools..let them have a candid talk about guns and let them hold/look at one.

I was raised with guns and we never bothered them. We have guns in our home and our kids don't bother them..they don't need to because they sometimes get to use them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sometimes it is NOT the parents fault. I know parents who did everything right yet their kid is in prison for the next 30 years. Sometimes, peer pressure wins out. Never judge BEFORE knowing the ENTIRE story. I am in no way saying what was done isn't wrong, because it is but you can't always blame the parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree Anon.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011