Am I the only mom with one child who is very happy with one child?

I spent 12 days with my sister's family. She has 4 kids. The noise, the squabbling, the tattling, arguing, fighting...caring for 4 children's hair, 4 daily baths, 4 different schedules, food preferences, temperaments, etc...hallelujah for one child!!  My experience just reconfirmed my desire for one child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Me, too!!!

One and DONE!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• And Anon:

Siblings does NOT mean insta-friends!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Nope.. I am SO happy with my only.. I thought I always wanted 2 until I had our son.. he was born an only and I found out I just couldn't be one to handle that choas of a bigger family.. temper wise / patients wise / husband wise lol!~ I LOVE my only and am SO happy to have him and only him!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I love having a one and only child. And I often joke that I wont have to wait 'till she is grown to get that cool two seater sports car! No minivan for this mom. :)
    vtmomof1

Answer by vtmomof1 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I love my one child as well

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Anon - seriously??? So we both have siblings we can't stand and they wouldn't be the ones we lean on when our parents pass
    that is what friendships and relationships are for - you can't choose your family, you can choose who you surround yourself around.. I hate that excuse of them being "alone" or "lonely" later.. that's SUCH BS...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am speaking AS an only child,and I can tell you in all honesty that it ain't all it's cracked up to be. I knew when I got married and started having kids I would never put a child of mine through what I went through. It is very lonely, especially when all the kid has to enteract with is adults. Yeah, I was way more articulate, and read more, but it was still very lonely and boring. I can't relate to my 3 kids when they have sibling squabbles it just frustrates me. When my dad died, I had no siblings to lean on, thank God I have the world's best DH, because he was there. Now, my mom is aging, and is facing a very serious health problem, and the thought of being without either of my parents, even though I'm married with kids and grandkids is terrifying to me. So, as I said, it may work for you, but I would never do that to a child.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I can and only will speak for myself and myself alone.

Nope you aren't the only one... I am more than happy, satisfied and content with my only.

I had never wanted children. After a few years of marriage, we decided to have 1.. That one has been perfect for us..Our little family is perfectly happy and complete with just one child. I personally never have felt that the idea of my child being lonely when my husband and I pass..etc.. was a good enough justification for ME to have another child..Mainly because I don't believe he will be. My husband and I aren't his only family, we are not his only friends, we are not his only support system/comfort system in this world. My son has other family, he has more cousins that we can count (lol) in more than 1 country (lol).. He will have a family of his own eventually.. He has & will develop his own support networks..etc.Throughout his life. Supports of his choosing, not mine.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I LOVE having an only child and will not change that. My son is NOT lonely, there is nothing to feel bad about for him. He has cousins, friends and neighbors to play with and always has. He is 14 and LOVES being an only child.

Also, having a sibling doesn't ensure friendship, having someone there for you. I have a younger brother and I do NOT get along with him. I have friends that have siblings that they don't even talk to and never will. Siblings do NOT gurantee anything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm feeling pretty contented myself.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011