How old were your kids when they learned how to swim?

My son will be 7 in august, dd is 5 and ds will be 4 in June. None of them know how to swim and I cannot remember how old I was when I learned how to swim.

bdflykisses

Asked by bdflykisses at 5:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son was 4. I put him in Red Cross lessons.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• She was 4. They need to learn how to swim, its very important. It could be a life saver one day.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My DD is almost 4 and will start lessons the following week!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my son (6, 6 1/2 in a couple weeks) can doggy paddle and both he and daughter (4 1/2) can float on back. Son can go down a waterslide and paddle/kick to edge of pool but not a solid SWIM. I hope by summers end my daughter will do the same.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son had his first experience in the water at the local YMCA at 6 months of age..getting him used to the water in his face,etc. He knew how to swim by the time he was three.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 5:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My little one is only 10 months, but my oldest nephew is 10 we taught him how to swim when he was either 6 or 7... So I would say 7 is a reasonable age.
    tltthompson

Answer by tltthompson at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Boys started swimming lessons at ages 3 and 4. They spend hours/days during the summer at the lake and they love every minutes of it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Around 6 or 7...whenever they could touch the bottom of our pool. They spent entire summers in the pool (4' deep) so eventually they taught themselves. They swim well enough to be able to get out of the water if they fell in. They were jumping into the deep end of the motel pool this summer and my son went off the diving board. My oldest was jumping off a 12' wall into 12' deep water at a water park with her friend last summer.
    We've moved, though, so no clue when the younger 2 will learn. I also learned by swimming in our backyard pool...at around 5 or 6 years old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• swimming lessons start in our family at 1, and continue thru age 5!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2011