What do you do for your little one who just gets so sad

my 8yr old can just be so sensitive and he feelings can be hurt so easily and ive had to the doc and on meds it just hasnt helped i think hes just a sensitive person. he just breaks my heart when he gets so sad

flipper4u21

Asked by flipper4u21 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What meds would a doctor give a kid that young for being "sensitive"?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Aww. Give him a hug for me.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would think that the kid needs a dog. My cousin was a depressed kid and meds didn't really do much. His parents got him a puppy and it taught him responsibility and he would talk to the dog and after that he became a happier person. I asked him now that he's older and more social how he came out of it and he said it was nice to talk to someone who just listened and didn't judge him. He still has that dog.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Explain things to him, be there to reassure him, and be thankful. What a wonderful adult he will make! I wouldn't think meds are appropriate.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• well hes been on adhd meds and it actually made it worse and thank you ill give him a hug for you and he did have a dog we had to put it down now we still have animals but not really his and he just had to have a hamster and said he deserved it because his very first yr of wrestling he made it to state and got so sad again so i got him one to find out i got a biter dang it
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• ask his doctor if the medicine that he is on is actually working or if some things need to be changed. It is hard when your child is sad all the time and you can't figure out why. My son is going through this also and we just make sure we have one on one time with just him and do whatever he wants. We let him talk when he wants and don't push the issue. Be reassuring and explain things to him that he doesn't seem to grasp.

There is nothing wrong with a child being sensitive and maybe he just needs extra loving from you and extra time if you can do it. My son is also sensitive about things and his dad just doesn't get it and tells him to get a thicker skin and all this and it makes my son feel even worse so I try to be more positive and do things with him and give him "special" days that it is just him and I and we do whatever he wants and he seems to open up more when it is just the two of us.

Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yes luckily hes not sad all the time and he will talk to me just not other people and yes i have the hard ass ol man too that makes it worse so he wont talk to him
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011