Natural alternatives to medication

We don't have any medications in the house, prescription or over the counter. We take vitamins and if someone gets sick, they are treated with vitamins. We have found that we are rarely sick, and that when we do get sick, the natural supplements work great. But that doesn't seem very common; it seems people look on that as being strange. Shouldn't using natural things be the norm though? (We don't think taking medication is wrong, we just prefer the natural route.) Does anyone else do the same?

shakleegirl

Asked by shakleegirl at 5:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• Whatever works for you and your family. But I know if I am in pain, I am taking a painkiller. Natural alternatives have not worked for me in the past.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am studying the natural/herbal remedies now to see what I can do to get hubby and MIL off the numerous chemicals they are on. Right now I have to be careful because of their health and their current medications.

I've tried my hubby on a few and he says they make him sick (literally) and I have to stop giving it to him. *shrug*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• some things we use natural and some things we use OTC stuff. Mostly though, we just don't take anything. I'd like to believe that our diet is rich in the vitamins and minerals that we need and it seems to be that way since we're all pretty darn healthy (except for my horrible allergies that seem to only respond to allegra :( )
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 6:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Do you take meds if they're prescribed to you?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am conflicted on this.

Vitamins are supposed to be less healthy than a good diet. We are told more and more that vitamins are not the way.

Herbs and other drugs- anything that has an effect, IMHO, is a drug. Some of them are more manufactured. Those have to have double-blind studies to prove their effectiveness (not that I trust all the studies, and I am wary of their side-effects). Other drugs are more natural, like herbs. These often do not have ANY studies to show their effectiveness OR safety/side effects/drug interactions. For instance, St Johns Wort is a popular herb against depression. It is considered a drug in Europe, so we know it interacts with many other drugs and has side effects.

So, herbs v drugs.... my preference is herbs that have been studied or old drugs with history of safety.

Natural does not always equal safe! Mercury was a VERY common folk remedy. Nightshade and digitalis are herbs.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In reply to butterflyblue19:

It would depend on the situation. The last time I was prescribed medications was a few years ago when I had a minor surgery. They gave me medication for the pain during the healing process. But, the medication they gave me was really powerful, and I didn't feel good about taking it. So I choose to just get through the pain and did not take the pain medication.
    If I needed medication, I would try to find a natural supplement that would work instead, or use natural supplements to heal my body so that I could get off the medication.
    I would be thankful for medication though, if I was in an accident or emergency situation.

I hope this answers your question. :)
    shakleegirl

Comment by shakleegirl (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In reply to Tracy 2: I am not at all saying to use just any old remedy. I strongly believe in getting natural supplements from a company that is completely trustworthy. A company that does not manufacture something just because it is the latest fad. When looking for a trustworthy company, look at their manufacturing practices. Look for a company that does many clinical studies, and has a good amount of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
    I certainly do not just go with the latest fad vitamin or herb. I first study the company and the ingredients. The company that I use does have clinical studies to prove the effectiveness of their supplements as well as their safety.
    Yes, I definitely believe in eating healthy. But we just can't get all the nutrients we need from our food alone.
    Sounds like you think things through and are careful with what you take as well. That's great!
    Thanks for your answer.
    shakleegirl

Comment by shakleegirl (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• no i dont do that but if it works for you why not do it dont fix whats not broke
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• We take vitamins sure, but it seems that most don't get properly digested and the bulk of it passes through the system. Yes, we take medications as directed, but rarely get sick anyway. I take vitamins, fish oil, Omprazole for heartburn and occassionally a painkiller.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 1:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I do take vitamins(prenatal for bfing), but I don't increase the amount I take if I get sick.
    Rose4Lily

Answer by Rose4Lily at 1:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011