Is honesty even in Obama's vocabulary? Fact check buried him.

Summary

President Barack Obama misrepresented the House Republicans’ budget plan at times and exaggerated its impact on U.S. residents during an April 13 speech on deficit reduction.

Obama claimed the Republicans’ "Path to Prosperity" plan would cause "up to 50 million Americans … to lose their health insurance.” But that worst-case figure is based in part on speculation and assumptions.
He said the GOP plan would replace Medicare with "a voucher program that leaves seniors at the mercy of the insurance industry." That’s an exaggeration. Nothing would change for those 55 and older. Those younger would get federal subsidies to buy private insurance from a Medicare exchange set up by the government.
He said "poor children," "children with autism" and "kids with disabilities" would be left "to fend for themselves." That, too, is an exaggeration. The GOP says states would have "freedom and flexibility to tailor a Medicaid program that fits the needs of their unique populations." It doesn’t bar states from covering those children.
He repeated a deceptive talking point that the new health care law will reduce the deficit by $1 trillion. That’s the Democrats’ own estimate over a 20-year period. The Congressional Budget Office pegged the deficit savings at $210 billion over 10 years and warned that estimates beyond a decade are "more and more uncertain."
He falsely claimed that making the Bush tax cuts permanent would give away "$1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire." That figure — which is actually $807 billion over 10 years — refers to tax cuts for individuals earning more than $200,000 and couples earning more than $250,000, not just millionaires and billionaires.
He said the tax burden on the wealthy is the lowest it has been in 50 years. But the most recent nonpartisan congressional analysis showed that the average federal tax rate for high-income taxpayers was lower in 1986.

http://factcheck.org/2011/04/factchecking-obamas-budget-speech/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    Do you ever post anything other than spewing hate towards Obama? We get it. You don't like him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• – collapse
    You have a problem Carpy.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• @Anonymous, maybe she was just showing a fact? instead of showing her hatred for him... Not trying to start an argument but only saying that imo, she was stating a fact..

But in my opinion about the question... Well, honestly, eh, he's a president, and he's human. He makes mistakes, and true he made/makes promises we all have to remember that he came into this presidency during a war, and well, he hasn't had the best/easiest time in office... Just imo.
    tltthompson

Answer by tltthompson at 5:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Do you ever post anything other than spewing hate towards Obama? We get it. You don't like him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous 7 minutes ago

I know. People such as yourself are not intelligent enough to discuss such issues. I will post an abortion or PA or gay rights question just for you.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• – collapse

I know. People such as yourself are not intelligent enough to discuss such issues. I will post an abortion or PA or gay rights question just for you. Comment by Carpy (original poster) 4 minutes ago

eye rolling

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I heard a thought yesterday being presented by an economist discussing the 2 budgets. He said that there is a false sense that the wealthy have the funds to fix the problems with the economy if they would just give more If the gov't seized all of the money and assets of the wealthy of this country, the gov't couldn't pay the US debt with it. 

incomedistribution

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I get it. I think I pointed out in another post that his words alone have been enough to discredit him [because they are cemented in both video and written transcript for anyone to check]. Still the frustration continues and still it's a game of "who you gonna believe; Me or your lying ears?"
    But Obama isn't the only one (nor the only party involved in this kind of stuff) ~ double-speak, exaggeration and lies have become a fact of truth if spoken by a senator or president - and it's been this way for decades. We let it happen by being so complacent for so long till our leaders got the impression that they could say anything and we'd swallow it "just because they said so". At some point we as a country are gonna have to find a way to stop it - but what *that answer is escapes me.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• To all of the "Negative Nellies" on here...WHY do you come back day after day, if you neither contribute to the arguments/questions posted and rarely, if ever, post anything thought provoking?! You must lead some incredibly boring lives!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

I think we need to throw softballs at them.

Obama. Boxers or Briefs??
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think we need to throw softballs at them. Obama. Boxers or Briefs??

Please don't do that. I really don't want to think about that man in his underwear. I'd rather have nightmares about the budget crisis than nightmares about him and his underwear.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011