I have a situation... Everytime we buy a different brand of diapers (Huggies, Luvs, etc) it seems my little one gets a terrible rash on his bottom...

I have tried different diapers (types/brands) for the last few eh, months? And he comes up with this rash. no cream works on it, I've tried desitin, A&D ointment, and even the hospital brand type stuff for bed sores etc. (my sister worked in a hospital) And its still there.. Of course not now, it finally went away but this is after 2 weeks of creams, baby powder, and "air drying." And it never went away. Have any of you other mommies went through this? If so, what did you do to get rid of it, and/or keep it from coming back?

tltthompson

Asked by tltthompson at 5:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a store brand without fragrance or one of the natural chlorine-free kinds.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• quit buying different diapers, stick to one brand
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It might be some kind of material they use to make the diapers that he is allergic too. Honestly, you should just jump right in and try reusable diapers.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I hate to say it but it sounds like he is allergic to disposable diapers. If you can find some that are hypoallergenic you could try that. If nothing has worked so far though I'd think you're probably going to have to switch to cloth diapers.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i never had this problem with my oldest son who is 3, and my youngest son. I had problems with Huggies with them leaking through, and even the cheap brand they leaked through.
    I would try store brands or cloth diapers.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son could only use generic ones from sam's club without getting a rash. Pampers were the worst for us. He had a nasty rash when he was newborn b/c of the pampers. The drs couldn't figure it out and nothing would take the rash away...no one ever guessed it was from the diaper brand. At some point I ran out of pampers and used a generic brand and the rash left. The dr said she couldn't really believe it was from a diaper, but we did have a larger size in pampers that was given to us and we tried it when he was older and he started getting a rash right away so we gave the rest away and went back to the generics. I am convinced it was something in the diapers. There are all sorts of chemicals in diapers.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Target has a pretty harmless store brand. The only thing we can use with my son to not have a rash is Huggies Baby dry. Some pampers and Luvs have fragrance, and that is terrible for his bottom. Wipes can also cause it. EVERY other wipe BUT Pampers Sensitive gives my kids rashes. The worst offenders are Huggies and 7th Generation. Even, the generic versions, so we only buy Pampers Sensitive.

If the rash is not going completely away, it could be fungal "yeast" . . . you may need some special cream to clear it up.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I switched to cloth diapers and we did great, have you tried the chlorine free diapers?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011