9 hour road trip alone with a 3 year old....

Any suggestions on making it easier and with all of my hair still attached to my head? lol.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• bring snacks...make plenty of stops to go potty and stretch those little legs...we used to stop and eat at parks so they can run off energy and bring games/toys
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I did a 130 round trip with my little ones by myself. I was all about just driving making as few stops as possible and not dragging it out. Snacks are key and a couple of toys but not a ton that it is overwhelming.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Lots of songs and/or books on tape they may like (check the library), new toys you introduce at various stops so they don't get bored, crayons and a coloring book?

Or you could.....keep them up all night and then let them sleep the 9 hours away while you drive in blissful silence :)
    Anonymous

• Bring a portable dvd player with a car charger if you can. That helped my kids. Make sure that you don't get sticky snacks (fruit snacks/pop tarts/etc) and instead bring cereal and crackers. The first poster had the best advice.. lots of potty stops and let your lo run around to burn off some energy. I would also suggest that if your lo is potty trained to put pullups on him/her just in case you can't find a place to potty right away.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you have a debit/credit card you can pay for gas at the pump when your lo is sleeping too. That saved me a lot of "I wants" at the gas station stops.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Definitely get a dvd player. Also, leave around 4:00 pm or so. Give him a bag of mcNuggets and fries to eat dinner while you drive. Hopefully he'll fall asleep around 8:00. Then you can sing and listen to the music that you want.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I used to do this pretty regularly. He always got a new toy that was good for playing with in the car just before we left. If you have it, a portable DVD player is awesome. If not, some good sing-along CDs work well too. I always took lots of snacks and plenty of activities - drawing, match box cars, dinosaurs, anything he could do while staying in his car seat.
    Also, set your expectations. I ended up stopping practically every hour (unless he was napping). If you can, take the extra time and stop at restaurants or rest stops with play areas to get the wiggles out. Also, try to travel when your child is less active, if possible. A napping child is much easier to entertain :)
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 6:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I drove from Kansas to California back in October. My kids where 4, 2 years old at the time. I bought a cooler that I packed full of drinks, lunchables, and other snacks for the road. I also packed a bag for each kid with coloring books, crayons, books, cars, and other toys to keep them busy. Even though my 4 year old is potty trained I had him wear a pull up in case we couldn't stop (as in there isn't a place to stop for miles). When I stopped for lunch, even gas I let the kids get out of the car for awhile. Over all the trip went good, we traveled mostly at night time so the kids slept alot and that also helped out.

Personally unless you have a dvd player, or this is a regular drive you will be making. I don't see the point in buying one.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• DVD player. Also a hand held leapster can spare some time, books, snacks. Play the color game (or letter game if he is on to letters) Can you find a red sign, a blue car, a green sign? If possible try to plan the trip around nap time.

I have a road trip bag of toys that are only for special trips, books that are only for travel and I try to get a video that is new and desirable or a long lost favorite to keep attention.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011