when my 2 year old does something he knows he shouldn't be doing we send him to his room. me and dad have a difference of opinion on how long he should stay in his room for... what do you all think?

tRiPsGiRl

Asked by tRiPsGiRl at 3:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out if supposed to be one minute for each year.

Answer by gemgem at 3:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Until he can say sorry and agree to start acting better. I think that short stays work better, let them have another chance and you can send them back for more time out if they're still not acting ok.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I agree time out should be a minute for every year.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I agree about the minute per year of age.....anything much past that and they start to forget why they're there anyway.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It is about attention span. One minute per year of age is recommended because they can only retain information so long. You send a two year old to his room because he got into trouble and in a few minutes he will be playing again because he cannot recall that he isn't supposed to, that he is in trouble. We have always done one minute per year.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I agree with the one minute per year.
    trish_27

Answer by trish_27 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I dont think you should send him to his room or give time out or whatever.

Kids arent born bad...hes only a toddler..try to explain to him in his terms what he did that was wrong.

If you send him to his room he wont think about his behaviour or what he did that got him there. He will think about the fact hes been sent to his room and doesnt want to be there.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• we use the time out corner in our home. i find if i send one of the kids to the bedroom, they end up playing or falling asleep. As for time, we strictly enforce the "minute per age" and we BOTH agree on that. My 8 year old gets 8 minutes, my 4 year old gets 4 minutes, etc. We go as far as to set the timer on the microwave oven...
    Amandakins

Answer by Amandakins at 6:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Its the same with me and my husband. I think one minute per year but he thinks that it should be like 30-45 minutes so that they will hate it so much and get so scared of going back that they wont do whatever it is they did again. I usually win that argument though :)
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 11:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008