Easter baskets

Anyone else trying to not do a candy basket? I got the kids a book with matching stuffed animal, a book about g'ma and g'pa and some little bugs and animals for their collection.

VintageWife

Asked by VintageWife at 6:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• I like to do non candy baskets! I like to use fun chalks and books, hands on crafts (age appropriate) and reiterate to them the story of Easter. It's fun. We also use plastic eggs and do hunts and theres goodies (non candy) for most eggs, the golden egg, stuff like that. My kids like it and they don't feel cheated. We have a big dinner and they have good food and they like the creative fun filled baskets more than a junk food one. Least they don't complain. : ) Good luck!
    Surfin73

Answer by Surfin73 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids are adults, but I still do baskets, just fun little treats...but less candy for sure.

wendydays- we made an Easter basket from a large plastic swimming pool one year. We just made a handle for it from cardboard, and wrapped the handle. We filled ours with beach balls, kites and summer toys, but I think a bike would fit in there!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• We are trying to stay away from a lot of candy this year. Mainly b/c the kids never finish it and I am sure you can guess who will!!! Easter bunny is bringing my 7 yr old dd a new bike w/o training wheels. I don't think we will be finding a basket big enough to fit it in!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 6:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The bike thing is cute. I suppose you would just get a bike basket and put a couple things in that...lol
    VintageWife

Comment by VintageWife (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yeah. My daughter is only two and she has enough candy leftover from halloween and Christmas still. We're putting a leapfrog learning laptop, eggs filled with loose change (she LOVES money and hoards it in a can that weighs almost as much as she does), and maybe a couple other small things.
    Thankfully family is understanding and cooperative. Nannie gave her a bunny and a couple new outfits, and Grannie will be giving her more change filled eggs, probably some stuffed animal or other, and minimal candy...my MIL can't resist giving her the goodies she knows Liliana loves, but at least she's keeping it to a minimum.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ohwrite- I LOVE that idea...and as luck would have it we do have an old swimming pool in the garage! Thanks for the idea!!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 6:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011