Delivering Naturally... Any words of wisdom??

I plan on delivering naturally... I am nervous but I really think I can do and definitely want to at least try! For the moms out there who have had delivered naturally or plan to, what did you do/will you do to help cope with the pain? Like any methods or anything that helped you get through it...
I just want to be more confident about this because everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy and to just use the epidural and blah blah blah it's annoying I want some POSITIVE feedback.

Thanks!!

SaraR216

Asked by SaraR216 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Don't rule the epi out
    Anonymous

• Relax!!! stay calm!! That helps better than anything, next to an epidural.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I say FOCUS POINT! When the contractions start to get really bad it's nice to have something that you look at that doesn't move so you can concentrate on getting through it. I also suggest having water to sip on and a cloth you can put over your forehead.. for some reason that helped me a lot.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I read a bunch of books on the Bradley method. I couldn't get my DH on board - he didn't understand my reasoning and thought I should just listen to everyone who told me I couldn't do it.

Biggest tip - ignore them. There will always be those who insist it's not worth it, and that you're crazy. You're not. I would definitely go natural again.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Stay home as long as possible.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you DO rule the epi out you are more likely to succeed in your goal of giving birth naturally.

My best advice is to hire a doula. They cost around $400, but if that's too much there are always doulas in training in your area who will work for little or nothing. Having continuous labor support and someone who is trained and experienced in helping a woman handle the pain of labor is a GODSEND.

Taking a childbirth class NOT sponsored by the hospital is another good bet. The hospital classes usually suck, find an independent childbirth educator in your area and take her class. They're more expensive but WELL worth it!

Start reading Your Best Birth by Rikki Lake and Abby Epstein and watch The Business of Being Born.

Talk to your care provider and make sure they are on board for supporting a totally natural birth, and WRITE A BIRTH PLAN. Give it to the nurses when you preregister so they have it on file CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Then bring a copy for you, one for your doctor and one for the nursing staff. You may also tape one to the door if you like.

The more intervention you allow the more you are likely to need. Skip IVs, food restrictions, continuous fetal monitoring, artifical rupture of your membranes, Pitocin and, in general, stay home for as long as possible. A doula will help with that!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• There is nothing like delivery natural. My mom deliberd 8 times natural without any of those things they do and my sis is planing to deliver naturally. And my sis in-law just deliver a month ago and it was natural too. So relax don't be scared and give it try
    reem114

Answer by reem114 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Two things for me got me through my first labor. I had a focus object and I labored sitting in the shower with the water on my stomach during contractions and my breasts in between. For my second I was having back labor and was on all fours in the hot tub at home until I couldn't take it and at the hospital I was also on all fours on the bed. Both were all natural with very little intervention (basically the midwife caught the babies) and I LOVED every minute of it. As long as you are mentally prepared and have a few coping ideas in mind and most of all a SUPPORTIVE partner (could be a friend not necassarily dad) then it is much easier. I would recommend staying at home as long as possible. I was in the hospital for a mere 2 hours before pushing with my first and barely 1 hour before starting to push with my second.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm a first time momma to be and I'll be delivering naturally too. Good luck.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011