What do you do when a kid doesn't answer you???

I babysit a 4 year old girl 3 days a week (also a 1 year old) I will always ask her what cup she wants or ask what kinda cereal she wants and she will get in moods and make me ask her 100 times. Its not just asking her what she wants its if I ask her anything. If I just walk away and not give her anything she will scream and scream. She clearly hears me ask her what she want or whatever and she will stare a hole through me and not say a word. Once in a while she will be like I don't want the green one, so I say ok you want the pink one she WILL not answer me. What can I do to make her answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• If my kids don't answer they don't get what I'm asking about. If they throw a fit because they aren't getting anything, then they sit in the corner til they decide they should answer me. That's just how we do it though.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well, what would you do if this was your child?
    Would you allow it? I would talk to the parent and let her know that I will no longer give into it.

What is the worse that can happen if she screams? You don't give into it an without an effect, she'll stop.

Sounds like she's pretty spoiled and gets to do whatever she wants.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I did that as a kid because I had a somewhat hard time making up my mind or did not have the answer at that second. maybe you say would you like a few moments to think about your answer.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My daughter does that to me (and to everybody else) sometimes, but she's two. I usually wait a couple minutes, or offer her a different option. If she still won't talk, I tell her "Oh well, you let me know when you want something from me, ok?" and walk away. Sometimes she starts to whine, and then I'll ask again. Usually when faced with the threat of either picking something or getting nothing at all, she'll tell me what she wants. sometimes it takes a few tries. =/ If she whines or cries the second time, I just walk away and let her throw her fit. After a couple minutes she will get over it and come tell me what she wants. Sometimes you just have to let them throw their little fits and give them time to get it out of their system.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What would she do if you didn't give her a choice? YOU make the choice. Maybe she is confused and overwhelmed by choices. When it is meal time, YOU pick what she will eat and what color cup, this way the choice is already made for her. Try it. If she still gives you a hard time, speak to the mother and tell her you won't tolerate this.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 7:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thanks so much for all the answers really good ones. I have been like okay you get the green cup then and she will throw a fit. Its like I have to play the guessing game and if I pick the wrong one to give to her she has a huge FIT!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• you choose for her and stop asking.. this is your cup for today, this is what we are eating today.. as for the screaming if she is not hurt I would put her in a 4 min time-out & tell her she is there for screaming.. if the mom has an issue with you choosing & not her child then she can provide the cup and food.. but let the mom know you will not tolerate the screaming that her child will get a time out each & every time she screams over nothing..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If it was my kid they would be warned they have one last chance to tell me what they want and then they get what I give them. If they throw a fit over what they did or didn't get then they get nothing until they want to behave. If they throw a fit over that or continue to scream they go in the corner.
    We've had this issue pop up from time to time and it doesn't last long when they know they will lose their drink/snack because they were acting like a baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011