Are you tired of trying to resolve a complaint with a large Communication company?

I am ready to scream. After five hours of negotiating with the Office of the President of Rogers Communication Inc here in Toronto, Canada, I can't believe that for the sake a settlement they would not increase their settlement to a value of $2335 from $2170. It is not like they are cutting me a cheque for that amount it is calculated across the three services I have with them __ high speed internet, cable television and residential telephone service; it is over a two year period. For the above services they recieve approx $250/month ... ie $3000.00/year. The reason for my complaint is that my phone service was down for 12 hours from a Friday 2pm to early Saturday morning. In the meanwhile the Hospital was trying to reach me as my dad had a tragic fall and was bleeding into his brain . I did not find out till the next morning. Such a "grave" matter and all they see is green. I missed being their for my dad.

mw360world

Asked by mw360world at 6:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am so sorry about your dad! :( That must have broken your heart to not have been there.'

I am pretty fed up with the communication companies, as a whole. I have Time Warner, and they never will compensate for outages. And, they have special "new customer" deals that you can't even get close to if you already have their service.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I've had good luck using the "Kill em with kindness" protocol in many cases... but ran into one that was absolutely 100% in the wrong, admitted that they were in the wrong, admitted they had the ability and power to fix the issue immediately - but as their #$#&* of a supervisor put it; was "unwilling to do so" --- until I called the local news.
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad.
    I don't, however, understand how your phone service being down for 12 hours created a settlement for over $2000. If you only paid 3000 for a whole year - how does 12 hours down mean you get most of that back? I'm confused. Could you explain the problem and the 'settlement' a little better for me?
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I was not able to be at the hospital for my father during this critical time. The Hospital Emergency trauma unit and Neurology ICU tried to call me several times; from the hospital end the phone simply kept ringing on my end. The standard HOME PHONE land line is our emergency LIFELINE. It is very much an essential service, not a luxury. There are many emergency plans that communication companies should implement during these times. If they had a message that notified callers that service was down for an extended period of time, this would have had the Hospital simply have the police deliver the news that my father had a fall. OR, when I asked the Rogers tech support to provide me with a cell with my home calls forwarded to it, and or a cell with a SIM card with my home # on it, in todays technology any of the above would have averted this misfortunate loss of time, My claim is in fact PRICELESS. (cont'd)
    mw360world

Comment by mw360world (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Cont'd) As to the amount ... I have used this company for 17 years, continually upgrading my services as it relates to phone, cable television, and Internet. In the 11 billion dollars of revenue this company pulls in, should they have not already considered an emergency plan. Sadly they have not, but is clear to me that they should have one.
    On a personal level, dealing with my father's passing has been difficult particularly with this thorn in my side. Following the passing of my father, each of my three sons have sought answers and help for psychological issues. As a sole parent I accessed a social worker who provided group and individual therapy in our home. I believe that my sons would benefit from additional psychotherapy, as would I. I am hopeful that as part of the compensation the company would cover the pain & suffering at the loss of enjoyment, companionship and support and a % of psych care costs.
    mw360world

Comment by mw360world (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011