How do I fly standby?

As I understand all I have to do is go to the airport and wait for a flight that isn't full and get on it. My neighbors did it all the time and they didn't have tickets. But I've been searching online and all I can find information about regarding flying standby is, one has to have a ticket already. So I'm confused. Does anyone know if it is true that one can just show up at the airport and by a cheep ticket (like$25 -100) to get on a flight?
Thanks in advance

FishingMama

Asked by FishingMama at 3:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I used to do it. I don't fly much anymore but yes. Just go to the airport and to the counter of the flight you want and sign up on the stand by sheet. It's first come first serve. As for the rate, I have no clue.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Exactly. My dad used to work for the airlines so WE had to fly standby ALL The time. We only got on the plane if there were enough seats to go around. Of course those that pay full price get higher priority than those of us (like employees) who pay 1/4 of the price.

So yeah, you just go and check in. And then they'll let you know if there are seats available.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008