My 3 years old son wants a dog.

I've been thinking about gettinga pet but IDK. My son who is 3 wants a dog so bad!

I'd adopt one from the animal shelter my dad got me my childhood dog;
My dad got us a doberman and he was the sweetest dog ever- I'd prob. get a medium sized dog.

How many of you have a dog and how hard is it to balance a child and pet?

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 7:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I have three kids, three dogs,, a bearded dragon and a cobalt blue tarantula. I feel completely lost without a dog. My kids are ages 3, 11, and 12.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• LOL holy crap! you can start charging to see all your animals LOL I love animals but I'm cautious. I had my 1st dog at 6 so i didn't know if 3 was too young
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Just make sure that the dog works well for your family. I hate to see people get pets and when they find out they don't work out later, dump them :( We got our first dog when my son was a newborn. They grew up together.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh no i love animals too much to just dump them =/
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• When my daughter was born I had a 16 year old golden retriever that was wonderful but she had health problems and had to be put to sleep when my daughter was 5 months old. When my daughter was 7 months old we adopted a 7 month old puppy. Reagan is a great dog and my daughter loves her very much but it was like having two babies at once. I definantly had my hands full with those two. Then a few months later we adopted Nick an 8 year old Aussie. He was easy though and I did not have to do much with him training wise. If you are willing to taking on the training and socialization of a dog then it is doable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm adopting a american staffordshire terrier greyhound mix
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• right now we have one 85 lb. pitbull and 2 cats...my other dog passed away in November...It's not the easiest...I would never get a puppy with a toddler..ONLY b/c of the commitment of potty training....My daughter is 2 1/2 and my dog is 7 1/2...they are great together..we have lots of baby gates so she's not alone with her ever.if it's an adult dog who is accustomed to a family, then I say go for it...just remember, your life will center somewhat around the dog...feeding time, potty time, etc....taking vacations is a big one..we didn't go on vacation for over a year b/c of my boy who had cancer...you have to give some things up to have it as a responsibility. Kudos for rescuing!!! All 4 of my animals are rescues :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I had a Doberman rescued my dad made hi mhis police dog; my dog passed away from cancer and my dad paasssed way in the line of dutie; i LOVE this dog - he's beautiful
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• 3 is absolutely old enough to have a dog around. BUT, you need a checklist of traits you need in a dog for them to fit into your family. Choose the dog as a family and make sure you decide on who has what responsibilities BEFORE you get the pup. Get your son involved as much as possible (scooping food, teaching tricks, etc.) to help teach him responsibility. Dogs are a great way to do this.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• First of all, kudos to you for rescueing a dog from a shelter. I have 7 dogs and a 21 month old baby. I had the dogs long before the baby came along. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I made the dogs understand right from the start that the baby was the new "top dog". There are a couple of them that turn their noses up at him and don't really want anything to do with him, but the others play tug-o-war with him and they'll fetch a ball for him. If I can do it with 7, I don't think you'll have any trouble doing it with one. lol. Good luck.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2011