Is every labor different?

My water broke last time. Is it more likely it will break again?

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Every labor is different, but all 3 of mine the dr broke my water at the hospital. So idk about that part.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yeah every labor is different.. they had to pop mine... but who knows with this next on for me either.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My water broke both times, but every labor is different, just that one part for me was the same. My sister's water broke with her first and the dr had to break it for the second. My other sister it was vice versa
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Every labor is most definitely different! The water almost always breaks before birth, do you mean that it broke before contractions began?

Eating a lot of vitamin C can help strengthen the amniotic sac. You ARE more likely to start labor with your water breaking if it happened the first time, but it's not a guarantee. You could have an en caul birth this time, you never know!

If your water does break before contractions begin, it is safe to wait up to 48 hours for the birth, despite what the hospital will tell you. Do some research on it. As long as there is no vaginal entry (including being checked), then the risk of infection is very, very small.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my water broke on its own the first time around, but the second time the doctor broke it, but my second labor was easier than the first
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Every labor is different but your water could break on it's own again. My water didn't break last time and the time before I was induced so of course they broke it at the hospital. My mom's 1st pregnancy it broke on it's own and the second one didn't. Google the % of moms who have their water broken for them. I don't remember the actual %.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yeah my water broke before I had contractions. Its because I have a heart shaped uterus.
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Water broke before contractions with the first and the second it didn't break until she crowned (wouldn't let the doc break it before as I felt is was not necassary). Every woman and every labor is different.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• With my first my water broke and I have very few contractions leading up to his birth. My second child I started contractions at 5 months PT labor at 35 weeks and finally went into labor 4 days after stopping my meds. His labor started with Contractions and a lot of pressure my water didn't break until the dr. broke it. The pregnancy I am on right now I had no signs of PT labor until last friday when out of the blue I started having contractions every 4 min. We will see if this L&D is more like the 1st or 2nd or a L&D all of its own in a few weeks.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• EVERY LABOR IS DIFFERENT!! That is mother nature's way! :)
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 9:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011