How long should my boyfriend try on our own to to get pregnant before seeking help?

We have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months now. I already have a little girl already with someone else. This would be our first one together. His first & my second.

sweetbug27

Asked by sweetbug27 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Infertility is classified as having unprotected sex at the time of ovulation for a year and not conceiving. You only have about a 25% chance of getting pregnant each month.

I recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Read it and you will be able to tell when you are your most fertile and can try then :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It took me 8 months to get pregnant with my first, and 5 with my second. You definitely have NOTHING to worry about yet! I would say if you haven't conceived after a good year of trying, then consider consulting a doctor. Until then, just enjoy it :)
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Most docs won't even see you until it has been 6-12 months of trying. And by trying they usually means charting and what not. I would also recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility or any of the many websites online that talk about natural family planning. It can be used to avoid or get pregnant. Good luck!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think you should give it some time, I know four months seems like forever but maybe your body just needs some time! Good luck to you...
    KLBB1234

Answer by KLBB1234 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'd try 3 months natural trying, 7 months of ovulation kits and 2 months break/rest/trying naturally again before seeking a specialist.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Reproductive Endocrinologists like for you to wait one year. However, DH and I were trying for six months and I *ahem* lied and said we were trying for one year.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you are younger than 35, the Docs want you to try for a year on your own before you see them But if you have had miscarriages before, you have a better chance of getting in to see a specialist sooner. If you are over 35, you only need to try or your own for 6 months before the docs will see you. good luck and I'll send Baby Dust  your way!!!

jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It takes healthy couples with no fertility issues up to 18 months to conceive. If it's been a year or longer you can start seeking fertility help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• not sure all 3 of mine took me 2 months of trying, but I heard that it could take up to 18 months to get pregnant
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011