Am I Terrible for not allowing my 12 year ond to have a cell phone?

Sometimes I feel like such a terrible parent for not letting my 12 daughter have a cell phone. I understand that she sees a lot of the other children with phones. I just think that it is an unnecessary distraction.

kikiflores

Asked by kikiflores at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My oldest is turning 11 this summer and doesn't have a phone and won't for a long time. I don't believe they need them at all. I don't even use mine. I haven't had it charged in almost 2 months (we don't get a signal in our house so it's pointless to charge since I can't use it). She has no use for a phone. If she wants to talk to her friends she can walk over to their house and chat with them. She isn't allowed to go far enough from home that I can't just send one of the other kids to fetch her and she's always somewhere that has a phone if she needed to call home. And she is allowed to wander around our neighborhood.
    If we ever did get her a phone it would only be used if she was leaving the house. Otherwise it would be turned off and put up...no texting or pictures on it. She also isn't allowed on the computer (no email or facebook or anything like that).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you think she is not ready for one thats fine.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Heck no. You are doing what you think is best for your child. You don't have to conform to society "norms" to be a good parent. I wasn't allowed to have a cell phone til I was 15 and worked for it. And even then it was a prepaid.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• not at all!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• uuumm,,
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my daughter got her phone for her 16th birthday, so I certainly don't think you are mean :)
    blessdmommy

Answer by blessdmommy at 7:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• A cell phone can be your BEST weapon with ur child .....its also good for safety.... I wouldn't recommend u adding her to ur plan and purchasing her a new I phone or anything but a prepaid for a birthday gift is a great idea she can work for the minutes do chores keep good grades and work towards her goals....its another consequence a tween def needs if they step outta line :) they'll feel not connected to their friends without it....but I would allow her to take it to school because I'd agree it can be distracting there.....but after homework shell b out of your hair her work will be done and u both Can have ur way but as a final note ur never terrible or a bad mom when u do your doing what's best u are the momma after all :)
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Not at all!
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No. I told my daughter not until she was 13. I guess it depends the circumstance too like if they take a bus home or walk home from school. In that case I would get her one.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That is so funny! My daughter is 12 and will be 13 in August. She just does not understand why she can't have one. I told her that we will get her one when shows she is responsible enough. Every kid is different. She has recently become much more responsible and careful with things. We have let her take my cell phone with her when she goes to the park with friends or something like that. I have found I am a lot less stressed and worried about her when she does have my phone with her. I know she can call me anytime she needs me and I can call anytime I am concerned. I think in this day and age a cell phone for those kinds of precautions is great. one time they were at the park and it started hailing and lots of lightning. She was able to call me to get her. The other option was them walking through a ditch to get home which is not safe when it is pouring rain. Trust your gut.

Loreita
    www.evhealthykids.com/workathome
    LHolladay

Answer by LHolladay at 12:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011