Medication for children with ADD/ADHD

Just wondering what medication your child is on (or has been on) and how well it works!?
My son is 10 and has been on Vyvanse, Ritalin, Adderal, Focolin and just recently started Intuniv (crossing fingers this is it). Vyvanse has worked the best but it has haltered his growth and he was losing weight, even after trying things the Doc suggested, like Pediasure before bed, etc.

MamaNikkiP326

Asked by MamaNikkiP326 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• My son was on Ritalin for years. It wasn't doing much. This year we switched to Vyvanse and it has been great. He actually made the honor roll! It has not affected his weight. He is almost 16.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If nothing seems to be working well, I hope you consider a consult with a child psychologist, or a biofeedback expert. Not every kid is the same . . .sometimes behavioral interventions can work better than meds. (Edited repost . . . sorry)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• All 4 of my children are on Concerta; however, my youngest son also take Ritalin with it. Both my boys have some anger issues, so along with the adhd meds, they take Risperdol. Some days are still tough, but overall it's better with them on it.
    hnwhitlock2000

Answer by hnwhitlock2000 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my kids have been on all that the good thing about intuniv is it isnt a stimulant so it shouldnt affect his appetite maybe you could try it for a little while and put some weight on him and if it doesnt work then go back to vyvanse
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My oldest was on Ritalin, 3 years, but as with most ADHD medications it KILLED his appetite and he wouldn't eat at all after taking his meds, so eating beforehand was paramount. It worked pretty well but he was a bit sluggish after medicating. My youngest son is on Concerta and has been for about 3 years now. Low dosage, only 27 mg, and I make sure he eats beforehand. He's pretty good on it, but I take him off it during the summer to fatten him up...doesn't matter, his metabolism is just too high to really gain any weight.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 12:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Stop drugging your child. He/she is only acting out because he/she wants your attention. Spend some quiet time every day with your child without any distractions like cell phones or computers.
    http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=86B1C6DC77332CBD09F3731F547919B2
    Rose4Lily

Answer by Rose4Lily at 1:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Very rude Droyal. My son has ADD, which has been confirmed by his pediatrician and phsycologist. He went from D's and F's in school to STRAIGHT A's after starting medication. He is very smart, but could not focus on schoolwork. He also has other issues, which I do not feel I need to get into with you. I did try natural homeopathic ways of helping with it before we ever tried medication, but nothing worked. He gets my attention, he has lots of love.
    Thank you, to the rest of you, for your comments! :)
    MamaNikkiP326

Comment by MamaNikkiP326 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OOOOPS so sorry to your Droyal! I am new to Cafemom and read this wrong, the RUDE needs to go to Rose!! So sorry for the mix up.
    MamaNikkiP326

Comment by MamaNikkiP326 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• never had experience with it, but good luck mama
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011