Work and maternity leave?!

I have been on my maternity leave for 2 weeks and EVERY SINGLE DAY since I started my leave, work has called me at LEAST one time...usually multiple times a day, at all hours of the day.

How can I tell them to back off and leave me alone?! I am on my leave. I do not want to deal with work. I want to enjoy my time, and I am not being paid for this time! I certainly don't want it to continue for the rest of the time I am off.

I feel like I'm kind of being a b*tch for feeling this way, but for real...leave me alone. LOL

Have you been through this? What do you do about it?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• When I was on maternity leave I only got calls from people at work in the beginning to Congratulate me....than after that first week nothing. But my job did not require anyone to be calling me for work related issues.
    What are your calls for? Is someone else in charge of your work while you are out?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes, someone else is in charge while I am away, and there have been a couple legitimate questions that she had that nobody else could answer...but some of it has been simply locating things that a thousand other people could have helped with in the building, asking about paperwork that I have already filed, to "update me" about this or that...emailing me things to ask me "what I think" or to check something that she did that someone else could easily do.

I don't want to be rude, but lord! It is CONSTANT. I just got 2 more e-mails within the last hour. I do not want to work on my maternity leave...I am on leave...not "working from home". kwim?!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would talk with your boss and let them know what is happening. If the people are calling to congratulate that is one thing, but if they are calling with work related questions that is not acceptable. If it doesn't let up after talking with the boss simply inform the boss that you will NOT be answering the phone except during certain times and then turn the phone off or just let the machine get it and pick up if it is someone you want to talk to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• They should not be bothering you with those issues. Talk to your boss.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would talk to your boss. That's not acceptable for them to be calling you while on maternity leave!

Congratulations by the way! :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I probably would stop answering the phone if it was them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Congratulations!

Stop answering your phone. They'll leave a message if it's important.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That is one reason why I work from home with PrePaid Legal. I don't have to worry about getting phone calls, and I make great money. I would just turn my phone off.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You should feel proud that you are such a valued team member. When I was on "leave", I was working from home after two weeks, part time in the office after four weeks, and full time after eight (working at home 1-2 days a week).

Congratulations on your new family member!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011