What do your kids call their aunts and uncles?

DH's grown kids call them by their first names only. I want our dd to call them Aunt so and so or Uncle so and so....Not just by the first names. I think it's disrespectful in a way.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• eh to each their own but my daughter calls everyone & I mean everyone almost aunt or uncle all the way down to my dads contractor & family friend who is here all the time at the apartment complex (that we live in) is uncle ron lol oh & the cooks at the gas station are uncle pete hahaha one day my daughter is going to be curious as to why she has hundreds of aunts & uncles b/c all my cousins are aunt & uncle too for her lol
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My dh has a huge hispanic family and his youngest sister and brother were 10 and 12 when we started having children. All of my kids call them by their first names. I tried correcting my children, but it was hard because they kind of grew up together. The rest are called tia (aunt) and teo (uncle) with their first name following. I agree that its a sign of respect, be sure to address them as aunt/uncle to your dd so that is what she is use to.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• haha it is kind of warped if you think about it but oh well shows how small of a town & close knit family we have hahahaha

I did have my daughter call my 1st cousins aunt/uncle b/c they all have kids her age & I figured it may get confusing if they were all cousin so their kids are her cousins then the adults aunt/uncle

Everyone in town being called aunt/uncle is just due to the fact that my dad owned a bussiness in town for 50years & knows EVERYONE so they are all very close family friends or considered to be family in some way haha I was kind of taken aback when we were at the gas station grabbing stuff the other day & my dad says say hi to uncle pete & I was like wait who what lol the guy simply rents an apartment from my dad! Too funny!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My brother is Uncle Ryan. My one sil and her husband are Aunt Chris and Uncle Jason. My other sil is just AJ. That's short for Aunt Julie, she came up with on her own when my oldest was a baby. Now all the kids born since then (my 4 older and my husband's 3 great-nieces call her AJ).
    My husband has older nephews and a niece and they call us by just our first names. Just the 12yo calls us Aunt and Uncle. I can't remember the last time the one nephew called me aunt. He stopped around 11 or 12 (he's 19 now). And I think most of my cousins stopped saying aunt and uncle after they were adults. Kids though still say it out of tradition, I guess.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son calls his aunts and uncles..Aunt or Uncle. I am an adult and still call my aunts and uncles, aunt and uncle. There is NO choice. It's respect.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• lol i still call my aunts and uncles aunt__ or uncle__. its been the almost 30 yrs of "training". you should have your kids do whatever you and they are comfortable with and when they are older let them make the decision for themselves.
    mommysylvester

Answer by mommysylvester at 9:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• We use Aunt and Uncle as a form of respect. Just like for any other adult they would you Mr., or Mrs.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Mine say Aunt ___ or Uncle ___. They say it for MY aunt and uncle as well (their great-aunt and great-uncle).
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Aunt so and so and uncle so and so
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh and I'm not knocking his kids, btw. I just read it again and it kinda seemed like that. LOL DH is the same way with his aunts and uncles.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011