My 6 month old is a side sleeper

This is wierd but lately my son has discovered how to roll over and now he likes to sleep on his side. He's slept on his back since birth. Now when I put him on his back he rolls on his side to sleep. Is this okay?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it's fine. They just usually suggest that you make sure they sleep on one side as much as the other because they can get flat heads.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It's fine! Better that than stomach and even that is not too bad at 6 months.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes. My son was rolling at 2 weeks and would sleep on his side, and stomach. The way our Dr. explained it was if the child can roll they are going to pick the easiest breathing position. Neither of my kids would sleep on their backs, ever. I think mostly because I nursed them laying down and that required them to be on their side.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• my daughter slept on her side since she was born. ;)

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• When my oldest was born they suggested stomach sleeping, when my son was born it was side sleeping, when my last two were born it was back sleeping. I think if the baby is comfortable itll be fine.

Answer by gemgem at 3:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Just fine, my guy prefers his side, too....especially when he's next to Mommy!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes. Rule of thumb is if they can roll, they can sleep how they please. Mainly because there is no way to stop them at this point! :) Just think of all the kids that sleep on their sides or tummy b/c that was the thought at the time. We all survived.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Catie always slept better on her side. She always seemed to end up there. Now she's a tummy sleeper, though I put her to bed on her back. Baby will do what he wants. As long as he can get himself out of that position if necessary, it's fine.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008