Pinworms or something else??

Before anyone tells me to ask the doctor...I already have...okay, my little girl is 3 1/2 and she keeps complaining about her butt hurting...the dr said this morning that she was not constipated but told me to give her Miralax once a day...she has been walking around for two days with this sad look on her face, crying, and sleeping...she hasn't been playing for real and she isn't eating or drinking like normal! IDK anything about pinworms but I saw where it could be something she could have picked up from somewhere....I am so worried about her cause she is not acting like my baby....any advice? I am thinking I am going to take her to get a second opinion...but I just wanted to see if any other moms may have had the same experience? Thanks!!

kaeleighalexis

Asked by kaeleighalexis at 8:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you checked her to make sure she doesn't have a rash or is chapped? My kids have had this happen. We also had a problem with pinworms years ago. The doctor gave everyone in the house medicine to take for it. The only thing that I remember about my son complaining about was that his anus was itching.
    hnwhitlock2000

Answer by hnwhitlock2000 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Here's how you "test" for pinworms - sounds gross & I'm sure some would say troll-ish, but it's true - at night, when she's sleeping, sneak in her room with a tiny flashlight. Keep all the lights off and don't shine the light on her. Spread apart her butt cheeks so her anus is exposed and shine the light on - you have to do it fast though! If she has pinworms, that when you'll see them. It takes meds to get rid of them. And usually when a child has them, they'll complain of an itchy butt.
    Anonymous

• And I'm thinking it sounds more like she maybe had a poop that hurt, and maybe made a tiny tear on the inside of her anus - I get that now & then and it does hurt for a few days! Are her poops hard and/or big? Could easily be fissures (the tiny tears) if they are. Nothing you can do about them either except keep her clean and adjust her diet to make her poop softer.
    Anonymous

• My 3 yr. old was complaining of the same thing recently and acting just like your daughter is and i was kind of worried too and pinworms did fleetingly cross my mind.But then she began having some gas and i thought maybe something she ate just didn't agree with her and her body was reacting to it and so i picked up this stuff at the store, called Gripe Water, it is specifically for toddlers and tummy troubles.It has all natural ingrediants(ginger,fennel) so it's gentle and is supposed to help their tummy feel better.Well,i tried it and within an hour she wasn't complaing of her butt hurting anymore and it helped her get all the extra gas out of her system.Now whenever she says that her butt hurts and i'm sure she's not sick with something else i give her that and it's like magic the way it works.You can get it at any Walmart or CVS. I hope your little one feels better!
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I had pinworms when I was in 5th grade. I sat on a bathroom toilet for the ONLY time in my life without toilet paper on it. One day I was sitting on the toilet & you know how little kids that age are, well I was spreading my lips apart down there (LOL) and saw this white thing that looked like a finger nail rush inside of me! I freaked OUT! I told my mom & my mom called my dr. He said its pinworms & gave me some meds that I would eventually poop them out over the next few days. They do reside in your rectum and adventure into your vag. Maybe examine her poop & see if you see anything in there like that ? Sounds gross, but being a momma you gotta do gross things sometimes. LOL I remember feeling itchy as well when I had pinworms. Keep up on her BMs as well. Make sure they are soft just incase it was a painful poop & it did hurt her. Good Luck, Hun.

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• thanks y'all....she isn't itching though....I'm just wondering why she seems so tired and wants to lay around? Scary!!
    kaeleighalexis

Comment by kaeleighalexis (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sometimes when i'm constapated it makes me feel sick and sluggish;does she drink enough during the day? Like water or juice? sometimes if they don't drink enough liquids and don't get enough fiber in their diet like some kinds of veggies(broccoli) or fruit like apples they can get constipated and it can make them feel lousy.I know from experience that it's hard to get them to eat certain foods,my daughter will only eat cucumbers and strained carrots,so i know how hard it is and i know the frustration of trying to figure out what is wrong with your baby and not being able to help them feel better.If she is not herself by tomorrow or the next day i would call the doctor back and tell them you're concerned after all we as parents know our children best and what is normal for them and what is not .
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2011