Just how damn much control are they after???????????

In its latest effort to save the planet from global warming, the U.S. government is on the verge of regulating ice makers commonly found in many refrigerators because they increase energy consumption by a good 12 to 20%.

This could be detrimental to the environment since there are more than 100 million refrigerators across the nation and they devour a substantial chunk of the electricity used by all households. Energy consumed by refrigerators as a whole has long been documented but not what the ice makers inside their freezers use individually.

Americans can finally sleep soundly through the night because government scientists have completed the ice maker study and the findings have been beautifully laid out in a 79-page report titled Energy Consumption of Automatic Ice Makers Installed in Domestic Refrigerators. The information is being used to make a case for regulating the popular little machines that are contributing to the planet’s destruction.

In a nutshell, the culprit is the tiny motor inside the freezing system that’s used to release ice from the mold and into a tray. Because the motor is specially built to function in a cold setting, it requires an internal heater to keep it from freezing up. Here’s where it gets serious; heating elements require a lot of power and that’s where the extra energy consumption kicks in.

The study was conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, a federal agency with a billion-dollar annual budget that claims to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards and technology in ways that enhance economic security and quality of life. That description is straight out of the agency’s website for those who care to sort through it.

The bottom line is that the NIST’s research is often used by regulatory agencies as ammo to control private enterprise. In this case the Department of Energy, which incidentally financed the ice maker investigation, will set new standards for refrigerators that come equipped with the devices. The DOE will add 84 kilowatt hours to the efficiency rating of every fridge that comes with an ice maker. That means consumers will pay more money.

The Obama Administration has been quite active in its campaign to enlighten Americans about the ills of global warming. A few months ago a group of esteemed scientists from several public universities warned that climate change will make food “dangerous” and add to the malnourishment of millions worldwide.

Before that separate government evaluations revealed that global warming causes mental illness and cancer and that it creates national security threats by spreading disease among people and animals. Authored by government scientists from various agencies, the mental illness/cancer report claims global warming is one of the “most visible environmental concerns of the 21st century” The separate national security assessment, made by intelligence and health officials, says climate change will destabilize developing nations as well as the U.S. economy and military.

http://www.nist.gov/index.html

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2011/apr/feds-will-regulate-ice-makers-save-climate

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The study was conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, a federal agency with a billion-dollar annual budget

~ hrmmm. Anyone else laugh at this ^ statement?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• How much Carpy? In a nutshell.....

ALL OF IT!!!!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh, hell. And we just bought a house with a side by side with an ice maker! We don't normally use the ice maker, but now....the kids love to get the ice from the door.

The title of your post makes me think of the cartoon Pinkie and the Brain. LOL!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Kinda scary. Glad I don't have an ice maker in my fridge. Won't get one in my next fridge either. Hope everyone is enlightend by this valuable information.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• We have an icemaker and I LOVE IT!!!!

I don't see the big problem here. Ummm, if it uses extra energy, I pay for that in my electric bill. And when we put one in our old fridge (came plumbed for it and we bought it a few years later and added it) I didn't see a jump in my elec bill.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh hell, why don't we just let government inspectors into each and every household so they can document every appliance you have and then fine you for what they feel you don't need. Geeeeezzzie Peezzzie! I agree with DSamuels, they want it all.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm sorry, I'm extremely tired today (hub slept in bed with me, snored all night long :/), would you mind making a summary? Its just not computing, but what I could get, it doesn't sound good :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The scientists who dispute that global warming even exists, are they stupid?

Does their education, experience, expertise count for nothing?

Why the selectivity on Mr. Obama's part?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• http://www.usphome.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=1193&parentcatid=924

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I miss having an ice maker. I keep waiting for this fridge to die so I can justify the new one. Now it will probably cost twice as much, because they never actually fix things they think cause "global warming", they just make them more expensive.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011