Do you believe that breast feeding up until the child is 3 is good?

I was reading about breast feeding recommendations and some of the breastfeeding websites advocate letting the child decide when to wean... I am breast feeding my infant.. and this is the longest I have chosed to breastfeed so far.... anyway.. the advice is to be offering the breast as long as the child wants to nurse and will eat in a healthy manner to keep your supply up. What do you think is the age of apropriately weaning??

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 8:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea I agree its up to you! Its your child...
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think that once the child is able to get all their nutrition from food/milk that it is no longer necessary. My children weened themselves at 12 and 14 months. This was long enough for me and they were getting most of their nutrition from table food anyway.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am ready now but she is not. DD is 14 months & honestly I am ready to get my body back. Right now I a waiting on her, somedays I only nurse around 6-7am, she will sleep a couple more hrs and at bedtime, others day she is after me to nurse every few hours, 10:30am and 4-5pm ar the worst she get so cranky if I don't let her.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Will you give your child milk (dairy) as part of a balanced diet? You know, cow's milk is made by mommy cows for baby cows. It is far more appropriate to keep nursing, giving human milk to your human child, until they are past the stage where their growing bones need so much calcium and other "dairy" nutrients. I've breastfed 6 kids and nursed each one longer than the last. My youngest is 2 and still breastfed.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I believe that whatever a woman wants to do in regards to weaning is totally her choice. I think that mothers today put to much thought into what they "should" be doing, that they have stopped using their mothers intuition to make the right decisions for their babies. sometimes you have to use your head and do what works best for you and your family regardless of what other peoples opinions are. I have known woman that have breast fed their child until 5 years, now thats not something that I would feel comfortable with... but to each their own. I started supplementing my son before I was ready because my doctor thought that I should and Thats a desision I regret, it has thrown off my bodies clock with breast feeding... I should have gone with my gut but I let someone else's opinion over rule mine and thats something that i have to live with. So to answer the question! If everyone is happy and healthy than great!
    Katrink

Answer by Katrink at 10:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It's completely up to you. I won't breastfeed that long, but if you do that's your choice. It's not my business nor my place.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• everyone had their recommendations..it's your baby, your body...I was done at 13 months...my daughter is now 2 1/2, happy, healthy, and she loves cow's milk :) I buy it organic but again, it's my choice and I believe it's good for her...lots of calcium.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Up to you and baby. I personally am gonna let my son self ween.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011