Baby shower etiquette?

What do you do when you lost the list of what people gave you? Someone made me out a detailed list.. I put it to the side I went into the hospital due to complications came out and a well meaning mother "cleaned" my pc desk and tossed all lose papers..

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 9:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well if you really want to have a list to keep then ask your friends. Just explain it to them say that someone cleaned your desk out of kindness while you were in the hospital & tossed it. If not then just dont say anything to anyone, its not a big crime honestly. People should understand.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would make a list of the people who were there, and do a general thank you note. "Thank you for your thoughtful gift" instead of naming specifically what you were given.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would just write a note to everyone, thanking them for coming and for their gift. You don't have to be specific. You really don't even have to mention a gift. I'd focus more on thanking them for being there to celebrate with you. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That's a tough one. I think honesty is the best policy. explain someone cleaned out your desk, along with the list, out of kindness. Since you love all the presents you got, it made it easy to thank everyone.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• But I have to send out thank you notes.. and I can't say well seeing how I got over 20 gifts I can't remember who got what.. that would sound ungrateful.. And I think they are expecting a thank you note in detail me telling how much _____ brought joy to my daughter and how she will use it.. you know personalized..
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Send a thank you note any way. A general "its so appreciated, will be of a big help"
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would also send a general thank you, for being there, doesn't have to be anything about the gift.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• OMG husband just found the list in the box of thank you notes... I am so saved. Thanks for all the help though. Sorry I was freaking out cause I knew how bad it would of been if they had not been personalized and I was clueless on what to do. Thank so much to all that helped though.
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would do something like "I certainly appreciate your gift and generosity, but more than that I want to thank you for your support during my pregnancy and birth. It means the world to me" LOL...sidestep the actual present. Of course if you can remember who brought what for a few items to mix it up, include the actual gift?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree with just doing a general note. Most people just like getting a thank you, personally i wouldnt be upset if you said thank you for the gift, instead of thank you for the diaper bag (forexample) But if you want it to be more personal just tell everyone someone cleaned your desk, and ask them what they got.. not a big deal. You are pregnant and have a lot going on, people get that!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011