What would you do......

If you saw a woman (don't know mom/aunt/sister) slap a kid in the back of the head (he looked about 13) in a store?

I had been near them and the poor kid asked if he had enough money for a cd....she went on about what a waste; how he waste his money la la la. He responded with (not in a "tone" or anything) Its my money right? She popped him HARD!

I said (to dh embarassment) That was totally uncalled for! She glared at me, grabbed his arm and stalked away! I feel awful that I may have gotten him in MORE trouble.....

What would you have done?

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 9:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would not have done or said anything. As far as "tone" it probably didn't sound sassy to you, but Mom knowing her son may have thought it was sassy, maybe she had spoken to him before about the way he speaks to her, etc. Most likely you didn't get him into any more trouble - in all likelihood, they probably walked away talking about how you were in their business! I get where you were coming from though - it's always better to talk rather than use hands. As the mother of a teenaged boy, I'm not condoning hitting, but I do understand where the other Mom was coming from as well. I would find some other way of getting my son's attention - believe me, my mom taught me "the look" and I use it quite frequently on my man-child . . . and he knows what it means - LOL!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 9:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Would have done nothing. He should have not talked back to his mom. I would probably went up to her and told her she was doing a good job raising her son.

Answer by louise2 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would've done nothing. It's none of my business. He wasn't being harmed. Mom was trying to teach him a lesson on spending money wisely. It wasn't abuse.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• called security and told her to her face that she is being cruell to that poor child! God bless that kid, that he may grow to be a good man and not follow in her footsteps! :(
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• walked away.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Called for security
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011