Am I being totally selfish?

Ok...my cousin is getting married this year. The date she picked is my son's birthday. She was fully aware of it. I know I should be mature enough to not let it irritate me, but it does. I don't want to spend my son's birthday at her wedding. We're not very close, but I still feel like I should go. There would be no point in having his party that day anyways, considering the family would all have to choose which event to go to, and I'm not putting anyone in that position. Am I wrong to be annoyed, though? If she had planned it on my birthday, it wouldn't bother me a bit. It's the fact that it's my son's birthday. When it comes to him it's entirely different. I want to spend that day celebrating HIM.

Ok, immature rant/tantrum over, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• you aren't being selfish, you already decided not to have his party that day in order to accomodate your cousin's wedding and the family members who would be in a sticky situation if they had to choose. so selfish? no way! i get why you're irritated and i would be too, but the first poster was right, planning a wedding is much more difficult than a birthday party. we rarely have the parties on their actual birthdays anyway, except when it happens to fall on a saturday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would be kind of annoyed about that too. Was there a specific reason for using that date? Maybe its the only date available for their location or something they wanted. I would be irritated but in the end brush it off. I agree not to have a party for him that day either, no sense in making everyone pick & choose over it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would kind of be annoyed too. But I agree with Mel.
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 9:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sure. I understand where you are coming from. My children come first before anything. But it is her wedding. It is slightly more difficult to plan a wedding than a kid party.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yep, I would be annoyed but good for you for being a better person and not making a thing out of it...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You could only go to the ceramony, then skip out on the reception? That way you can go and do a fun day with your ds. It dosnt have to be a party, just a fun day, like go swimming, go to a petting zoo, park, out for ice cream, that type of thing.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• OK, I have to say it, YES You are being selfish. It is not like it is his HS graduation. He doesn't even know what his Birthday is yet. Lighten up and go enjoy your family. We take for granted that the people we love will be there forever, but they won't. In the whole scheme of things when you logically look at this, your cousin deserves her day. It is the biggest day of her life so far. Your son is only 2. You can celebrate his life everyday and your cousins' wedding will be one day in a lifetime. Why make a big deal over it? Get him a shirt that says' it's my Birthday for the reception.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't know why she chose that date, but I DO know that she was aware of it because she said to my uncle that she was having it on my son's birthday, and he mentioned it to us. It would be different if she forgot. But I know that she thought of it before planning it. We couldn't have his party on his birthday last year because it fell on a week day. This year it's on falls on a weekend, but we're going to her wedding. I guess...my son is my entire life. His birthday is infinitely more important to me than her wedding. I know that sounds kinda mean, but it's the truth. I just don't like the idea of being at her wedding all day, when all the while it's my son's birthday. I feel bad that we'll be celebrating something and someone else. I know, I know...I need to be more mature...but I can't help it, lol. I'll most likely go to her wedding, be extremely nice...but all the while, inside, I'll be a little irritated. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would just celebrate his birthday another day. That is really not a far reach for me though because with hubby being military we postpone holidays and birthdays all of the time to work around his schedule.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• How old is your child?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011